Opening weekend and beyond

It was a slow day today and JP is still on the shelf after his toes swelled up again after a short hunt on Wednesday. We hit it hard with Bud and Daisy but produced few birds, only two hens and two roosters. My brother managed his bird and the other was just a bit out of range. Still very hot out by noon.

Last edited:
Got my boy back out today all healed up. We flushed 6 pheasants of which 3 were roosters, no shots though but the quail... oh the quail! You can't shoot them on this land and the dogs just don't understand it. It's no exaggeration when I say they flushed close to a thousand, too many covies to count as they blended together. The looks the dogs gave us after the first hundred or so could've killed two limits easy.

Welcome back, JP !!!

I've been lamed for the past three weeks myself, so I understand your frustration. Those quails smell wonderful don't they? Tink has the same confusion when I don't shoot the left-overs from some training competition that was held during the summer at the property I hunt.

Nice picture. Stay healthy.:thumbsup:

The birds are terrible by this time of year, all the roosters we saw were blowing out 50yds ahead of the dogs all day. Still a few birds left out there, might have a day or two of pheasant chasing in me yet.

Back