Opening day, who's going?

Zeepo

Well its almost here so who's going and where. I am not but will be on Sunday north and east of St. Joe.

Gary

I'll miss opening day, but will chase them all weekend. I'm hearing good bird numbers this year in the north half of the state.

I'm going to skip opening morning, but plan on hunting that afternoon/evening and the 2 days after that. I'm looking to the northwest part of the state. I'm excited to get out there and hunt.

I have to work parent teacher conferences tomorrow. Planning on heading north Friday morning. Dogs and I are both more out of shape than we have ever been for the opener. At least it doesn't look to be to hot.

I went today for about an hour in between rain showers. No quail but did manage a limit. Was covered up with these things. Saw a dozen or so in an hour. Daughter got in on the fun. I think we could have found quail but found ourselves getting in the lower, wetter, woodcock coverts. Once we started getting into them we lost track of the brush next to bean fields.

View attachment 8624
View attachment 8643
View attachment 8644

Last edited:
Well my hunt fell through for today, I went to install a new door yesterday and they sold me the wrong size so back to the hardware store today. How did everyone do?

6c815abf-0c92-4630-86fc-dda129ae2386-original.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A buddy and I (with 1 dog) hunted both the northwest and northeast part of the state. We hunted November 1st in the evening and November 2 & 3 in the morning and evening. We managed 5 pheasant and 8 quail, which was a great result. I feel in the northwest pheasant were down a bit from last year and quail were a bit up. In the northeast birds were similar to last year. I'm just comparing last year's opener to this year, so as I hunt throughout the season I could be proven wrong. I will add we ran into some young quail in the northwest and one young pheasant (and I mean young) in the northeast. It was a good weekend overall and will look forward to getting back out there.

Went this morning before the rains came. Was turning out to be a real nice hunt. Got into 3 covies of birds pretty quick. Not far from the truck. I dropped 1 on the first covey rise. My buddy got two on another covey. We did find singles as well but we both had puppies in the field so doing a little training probably cost us a couple more birds but oh well. Then the rain came so we started to high tail it back to the truck and my garmin said we were 980 yards away so we unloaded our guns and started really moving. About 600 yards from the truck his shorthair locks up behind us. Once he realized it, we had to backtrack about 70 yards and flush the covey. So good day but crappy day. Found 3 good size covies on public land and had a lot of action. I will be mudded out of work tomorrow so I plan on going again and I guess it will be a rubber boots day. I will say that all the birds were in the standing beans next to the endpoints of the draws.

My puppy Ruthie honoring her mother. She is 13 weeks
View attachment 8641

Picture of my hover setter. Her feet only touch the ground when on point!
View attachment 8642

Last edited:
Back