Onx for SD

Just to clarify, I'm not opposed to walking a ditch on a gravel road. I don't specifically set out to do it, but during the course of my hunt I sometimes have to walk on a country road, so I am technically hunting a ditch.

As it pertains to this thread, I would never walk a ditch along side a highway. Just too unsafe and risky for this guy.
Moral of the story… don’t use steel #6!

I'm kind of second guessing A5's determination of the metal and size of the shot. They could have been T shot for all we know. That guy doesn't know anything about shotshell ballistics!

Hey now. I've seen enough 3, 4, 5, & 6 shot that I can tell. But had I measured them, you can rest assured they'd have all measured exactly 0.110". They appeared to be fairly high quality shot. Just not big enough to kill a young rooster. 😉

Hey now. I've seen enough 3, 4, 5, & 6 shot that I can tell. But had I measured them, you can rest assured they'd have all measured exactly 0.110". They appeared to be fairly high quality shot. Just not big enough to kill a young rooster. 😉
A5 drop me a pin and I’ll reenact the situation next week, but I’ll be damn if it’s on video for this crowd! Everyone shoot straight and enjoy the best time of year.

70 yards is 3 quarters of a football field, to close in oncoming traffic. Especially when they are passing by and the gun is pointing in their direction. Not safe!
Common sense!
Just sayin'

A5 is a knowledgeable hunter and respected poster on here but he also needs to understand that posting videos can result in good comments and bad ones. Don't take it personally.

Oh, it's totally expected. I knew it would eventually be questioned, I'd be called unsafe, etc. It's the internet. Somebody's going to say something, good or bad. But I make videos for ME to enjoy. If someone has a problem with the content, they're welcome to say so. But as much as I like hearing myself talk, they can expect a response. If I did something I knew to be illegal or thought was unsafe, I doubt I'd include the content. I didn't think either of those things in this case, obviously. But if somebody changes my mind about this particular instance, I'll admit it.

A5, I do really enjoy your videos. Ace is a one of a kind and you are a great shot. You keep posting, I'll keep watching.
We may not always agree but you provide outdoor hunting enjoyment. I'll be in SD, Gettysburg area Monday Oct 30th for 10 days of pheasant hunting. Save a few pheasants for me. Ha

Nonsense. Shooting towards the roadway, 70 yards away according to A5 Sweet 16's assertion, is a hazard. Period.

If you don't agree, park your vehicle 70 yards away, sit in it and have someone shoot at it. Now imagine you are traveling 65MPH, focusing on the road. Even the visual of someone swinging a shotgun towards traffic from 70 yards is enough to cause an accident.

I'm not surprised at all by A5 Sweet 16's response. It was fairly predictable. But the fact that some here want to defend this as safe gun handling, and think it's fine to show to the world on YouTube, is amazing to me.

A5 says he's "no role model" and that "I don't apologize for that shot." That's the problem in a nutshell.

And the "Thanks for playing. Come again" he added is meant to be condescending and pithy, but it strikes me as defensive and juvenile, especially after such a bloated and self-congratulatory response.
I'm really curious where you live. Driving along and seeing hunters in the field and even shooting a bird feels perfectly natural in pheasant country. Unless you're literally in the ditch or a dog is running into the road. I would only take a second to applaud the shot.

Didn’t read the posts, but I’m always paranoid about dogs when shooting close to roads, especially busy ones…
That was my main point from all this. I've seen my dog cruise right across a country gravel road chasing a cripple. That could easily happen on a busier road. Isn't worth it.

There’s some areas I used to hunt that were dangerous that way…one for sharptails near a highway…bushes near the road that hold birds…I’ve played the tragedy out in my mind many times…🤯

Until now I've decided to stay out of this argument.

I personally would not shoot towards "busy" road at that distance. I would define that as one that has an asphalt surface with regular traffic. Not a gravel one out in the sticks. A5 responded with some pretty good evidence on ballistics and distance, etc, so I trust that his math is correct on that one. But for me personally, I still wouldn't do it. I am in the crowd of never shooting towards game or birds with obstacles behind my target. That mostly comes from rifle hunting, which has significant distance compared to BBs. But its a habit, so that's how I roll.

Second, I will not hunt that close to a busy road. Roads scare me mostly because of my dog. A cripple could easily run or fly across it and the dog is not going to stop on the shoulder and look both ways. No bird is worth risking my dog's life and for that reason, I avoid hunting even remotely close to a busy road.

Carry on
I know a guy who lost is Britney out in the sticks of eastern montana on a gravel road.His dog was chasing a wounded Hungarian partridge, and a grain truck hit him.Very sad.

Back