One possible good outcome of Gulf Oilspill

I'm all for new bio development of fuels as long as they don't keep trying ethanol. When the output to make something is greater than the savings, they really need to take a look at it. I have heard that the bio-diesel made from algae is already being used in trail runs. I want to say that was in popular mechanics at sometime. If we could knock prices down to $30 some bucks a barrel though, wouldn't the oil companies want to try and make some sort of b.s. excuse to keep prices around $2 a gallon or so just because they like the profit they are making now?

I think biofuels will just eat up a bunch of land that is now good wildlife habitat and will not put a dent in our oil needs. I do not see this a good thing.However I do think we need to use what we can insted of wasting energy sources such as the chicken fat mentioned in the link you posted.

Check this out and tell me why we even need bio's or high fuel prices??? This is supposedly light sweet oil and only cost 16 dollars a barrel to produce. Go figure!!

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911

How dare you suggest that we drill in the plains of North Dakota or Montana. I am sure there is some black footed ferrets that we would disturb. Or what about the one-legged cross-eyed wee willey grasshopper that could inhabits the prairie. We would be disturbing its precious habitat.

Article stated cellulosic biofuel commercialization is still 3-5 years away.

Cellulosic biofuel commercialization was 3-5 years away 5 years ago. Switch grass ethanol and nuclear fusion will probably be 5 years away for the rest of my natural life.

p.s. There is nothing good about the Deepwater Horizon oil spill tragedy. The relief well will take a minimum of 3 months to drill. Unfortunately the consequences are still beyond imagination.

In my opinion, biofuels are absolutely horrible for wildlife like pheasants and upland birds. It takes a heck of a lot of acreage to grow biofuels, driving up farm land costs and causing more land to be tilled. This will eventually drive up CRP rates.

I am not really sure they are the answer to anything but buying the farm votes.

moellermd and BleuBijou I know many of your coments are tongue in cheek but as bird hunter who hunts the prairies how could you not be concerned about this habitat.The one legged grasshoppers would be easy for young grouse to catch and eat. I am not against useing our resources but think we should do so in the most environmentally way as possible. I enjoy seeing all things while I out hunting and this adds to the experience. I think we can and should leave room for all things. It would be a boring world with only one or two species in it.:confused:

Last edited:
The problem with most sources of fuel/power. Profit comes long before protection. That's what we are seeing in the golf now. Corners were being cut, safety was compromised and protection of the environment was broken.

Don't worry though, the oil industry will be fine. They will just pass the cost of this mess onto you and me at the pump and what's our option? we have none and they know it. I'm all for continued exploration into clean renewable power sources. That's the only way to wean us off the tit of company's like BP, Exxon, Etc.

Win97, yes your right. It was all tongue and cheek. We all know now that the safe guards don't exist and to not have a plan in place for failure is costing us all !!!!! I believe they have already tapped in to that oil up North. Can't tell you what the production rate is being held at! BP won't be held accountable. Any law suit will be appealed for 20 years until they accept pennies on the dollar. I know it sucks, but I still don't want to spend 7 bucks for a gallon of gas. Something needs to be done for the accountability and just not passing the costs of clean-up to the people.

I agree but until we start holding someone criminally responsibly for these sort of things there will be no way to keep these companys honest.

I agree but until we start holding someone criminally responsibly for these sort of things there will be no way to keep these companys honest.

There ya have it, Great Post!

Tongue in cheek? Maybe in regard to the effect drilling would have on the environment. Certainly not on drilling in MT. The intent of that article was crystal clear - drill on the prairie.

Even if it does produce inexpensive carbon fuel, it doesn't negate the effect that has on emissions. Not to mention that it CAN NOT be done without effect to the environment.

This "drill baby drill" shit has gotta stop.

This "drill baby drill" shit has gotta stop.

Welcome to $7 gas. Landman, that ought to really cut down on road hunting don't ya think. It seems 6.8 billion people, Malthusian population die off, our Dick Cheney non negotiable lifestyle, and Peak Oil all seem to be reaching critical mass. I just want to drive around in my Tahoe(13mpg) on Saturday afternoon and shoot a few roosters. What is this world coming to?

Very bad indeed. Can not imagine how the people who live and make a living off these areas must be feeling watching it all get destoyed. Don't see how all the money in world could fix things now.:(

Back