One of the best days of the year

Matt D

Sitting here finishing off the first coffee of the day as I prepare to head to the preserve for what is usually one of my more rewarding days of the year. One of the pheasant preserves in conjunction with PF does a youth hunt each year. I have helped many times over the years and Copper has always performed great. It is always nice to see youngsters out hunting and especially when it is their first bird. Lots of excitement there.

Hopefully most of the kids make it out as it is currrently 47 degrees with 20 MPH NE winds and gusts pushing close to 30 and then some rain forecasted later. Sounds like a perfect day to me but afraid some of the parents won't see it the same.

Keep looking forward to the day my daughter can participate in this hunt but she just isn't quite strong enough yet so looks like it will have t be next year when the new pup will be partaking in his first of many to come youth hunts.

Will try to get some pics and update this thread during the day. Hope everyone has a great day as I know I will!

Matt

First run of the day. Had 7 flushes total and killed 2 and had one additional they we knocked down but ran and we never could find it. Here is a pic.

161gunp.jpg

The old man is doing OK. Second hunt we had 5 flushes but only connected on 2 again. He hunted very well that round for sure. One more run and then some rightfully earned rest for him.

fyq07k.jpg

Sounds like a good day.

Don't think I could keep up with teen-agers, if they kept replacing them.

They're all trying to look cool, but I bet it was a great time for them.

Nicely done, Sir.

Third run complete. Flushed 7 and hit 4. Lots of ribbing going on with this group as there were some shots missed that shouldn't have been. Here is the picture.

Overall a great day of dog work and some very appreciative parents and kids.

sy1lhg.jpg

Way to go Copper and thanks Matt for working with the youth!:thumbsup:

A Springer, cool gray fall day, and pheasant hunting, it's just perfect!

How old is that pup now?

FLDBRED;203465 How old is that pup now?[/QUOTE said:
Copper turned 11 in August. I wasn't real sure how he was going to make out this year as his eyesight has gotten worse and occasionally runs in to things around here. I took him out last weekend for a hen hunt to see if he was good enough to go. Showed he was. I think he must have heard the rumors floating around the house about a new pup coming from FCSpringer and wanted to show he still had it!

I know the feeling, Dugan is now eleven, his heart is still in it but he is starting to show his age. Glad to see that Copper can still get it done.

I thought Dugan was similar age. That is what is amazing as he acts like a 2-3 year old most of the time just bouncing off the walls and such. I really think last year was his best overall hunting wise as he was a machine and just couldn't wear him out hardly. If we can get through this year as the main dog then he can take it easy some going forward as I will have the youngster to carry most of the payload. Can't wait to see them both out there together either.

Hopefully Dugan bounces back from his injury soon and you guys have a great year!

The only thing better than a Springer for pheasants is two Springers! :)

You must be pretty excited about getting a pup from FC, he has some beautiful dogs with good bloodlines. Are you driving out to pick the pup up?

Thanks for the well wishes and right back at you!

Haven't worked out all the details yet for getting it. If it works we will meet in conjunction with his field trial schedule but if needed will make the trip out there and pick it up. It is going to spend some time out there with Ken before he comes to us.

Glad to see Copper is still hitting the fields. Let the new pup know he has some big shoes(paws) to fill. Let me know next time you're making a trip out: we will have to link up soon.

Back