NWSG are UP!

UGUIDE

The new 70 acre NWSG planting put in the last week of May are coming up. With a 4oz treatment of Plateau and the heat and moisture this summer it will be interesting to see how well this does the first year. The grasses are just 1-2 inches tall right now.

I did a alfalfa, sweet clover, tall wheatgrass planting last spring in between the rows of a 10 row tree riparian buffer and it came in thick this spring.

Anyone else have any new grass projects they can give reports on?

Your progress sounds good! Careful with the legumes in your tree site, the deer may be drawn to your site and browse you harshly. My burns look very good. Those at the lake that haven't been grazed are beautiful and the quail are using it heavily. I've seen you were getting good moisture. Good luck for the remainder of the year.

We burned 80 acres of 9-year old CRP on May 9th. We re-seeded with a mix of warm season natives and forbs. We followed up the seeding with an application of Roundup to supress the old grasses. Our low ground had a thick growth of slender wheatgrass and our high ground had big blue, indian, switch, and canada rye, but it was too dense. Our goal is to provide good cover for brood rearing with abundant insects. We seeded June 1st and as of June 18th there were just a few tiny plants sprouted, barely detectable.

Your progress sounds good! Careful with the legumes in your tree site, the deer may be drawn to your site and browse you harshly. My burns look very good. Those at the lake that haven't been grazed are beautiful and the quail are using it heavily. I've seen you were getting good moisture. Good luck for the remainder of the year.

PD, I can see that the browsing can be an issue. I have some established plums that start shooting suckers heavily and the deer really hit those little shoots hard this spring. Plenty to go around though so no issues to the main tree planting.

Here's what the 5 NWSG mix looks like after about 4-5 weeks and 4 OZ of Plateau applied. Pretty happy with it. Looks the same across the whole 70 acres.

DSC01352.jpg

That's going to tiller and fill a lot in the coming months. The first year's growth is often below ground. The second year it really starts to fill in. Yep, I can see a rooster falling to the gun in it in no time!!!

That's going to tiller and fill a lot in the coming months. The first year's growth is often below ground. The second year it really starts to fill in. Yep, I can see a rooster falling to the gun in it in no time!!!

PD, what does "tiller" mean?

It's hard to get new hunters excited about this CRP because first year it ain't much but it is the best I have had/done yet.

Grasses grow out their roots until they make a bud that will asexually reproduce by putting up another head, filling in the stand.

UGUIDE, Very nice indeed. So clean!
MAN yeah, good plant population. You will really notice how much the little plants expand.

Chris, I have sweet corn to. pic taken last week. 72 day bi-color.
Yep, I think best year for dry land crops.
Almost ready, we will sell several thousand dozen. Still lots left for the critters.
P1010084-3.jpg

Back