North Dakota roadside survey results

Yea , looks pretty rough. I have always shot primarily young birds in nd so if they are down that much , its gonna be slow. gonna have to look for those non posted gems that are far away from plots. Hunt the sloughs and be ready to pound some ground for a limit.

Statewide, I'm not surprised at the survey's findings. MN and SoDak especially are in the same boat. As the report stated, the hatch suffered in many areas of the state because of a late cold spring. In MN we had a late snow storm hit in mid April. Combine that with the ever increasing loss of habitat (CRP) and it will only continue.

That said, I think good hunting will obviously still exist where the habitat is strong.

I fear the days of strong habitat are behind us. WPA's will always be for the sake of duck nesting. its time to start a pheasant stamp so there will be enough money for crp to compete with crops.

ND did lose a lot of CRP.
All that Spring and early summer precipe has made for a LOT of heavy cover in areas where the grasses are usually short.
There are areas in the range country out West where the Little Blue is 3 feet tall.There's a lot of cover out there.

In the East there are a lot of areas that have dried out. Corn is late and immature all through the state. With the cost of NG look for a late harvest.

its time to start a pheasant stamp so there will be enough money for crp to compete with crops.
We already have one in Minnesota. Have for some time. It's not enough unfortunately.

Last edited:
i agree same with WI they have a pheasant stamp & still have to release pen raised pheasants all over the state for hunters to have any pheasants to hunt...

Two years ago when I was out in Dec. they burned and plowed huge amounts of land you would see smoke in the sky all the time.
Went out last year and did not do that good still birds but very much educated with more hunters on less area's should be worse this year.
Might be my last year.

ND did lose a lot of CRP.
All that Spring and early summer precipe has made for a LOT of heavy cover in areas where the grasses are usually short.
There are areas in the range country out West where the Little Blue is 3 feet tall.There's a lot of cover out there.

In the East there are a lot of areas that have dried out. Corn is late and immature all through the state. With the cost of NG look for a late harvest.

I am going to Mott/Regent again this year..probably my last trip ever to either of the Dakota's...SAD ending!

Was up there sharpie and duck hunting this past week. Moved one pheasant. It was a young hen. Helped a farmer friend of mine mow hay on a crp field that is coming out this year and didn't flush a single bird! Definitely down.

Back