Next Gen of Woodcock Starting!

Miforester

Birds are nesting in the Northern Lower and the nest are looking healthy......Our shooting gallery has been renamed to breeding gallery.

IMG_20150413_184127_471_zps1lrntkug.jpg

IMG_20150413_184047_856_zpsckfphytn.jpg

The dogs pointed the hens sitting on the nests. Hopefully after the nest hatches we will be back ther to band the chicks.

Very cool. The eggs look almost identical to our killdeer eggs. Do woodcock hens pull the old "broken wing" flop move to pull attention away from the nest like killdeer do?

Quail Hound,

Yeah they do but not as prominent as the kill deer, they flush but land very close trying to lead you away from the nest.

first sighting 4-19

Pretty common here contrary to what I've always heard. I think they head north after fledging to escape the heat and dry. Never seen one in aug or sept even in the low ground. Little do they know the gauntlet they subject themselves to on the way back down.

That's neat Tom. One of the things on my bucket list is to watch some woodcock doing their mating flight! They are too few here to be that lucky I'd guess! Wouldn't mind hunting them where they are more plentiful as well. I have had shots at birds here, but with the Kansas wind, nope! I've flushed them in the spring here too. Hawk pointed one for me in his hey day. I have an open invite in Wisconsin, but haven't made it there yet!

Thanks Troy, just know you have an open invite to Michigan as well......it is a lot of fun when you get into some flight birds, not uncommon to have 30+ points and even more flushes and a few grouse in the mix as well.

I grew up with sticks slapping me in the face trapping. I don't expect that getting the same following the dogs hurts any less:) Might ignore it easier dependent upon what the dogs were telling me! Thanks. Same goes for Kansas for you! Might know where a killdeer or two can be found:)

Back