Newbie Question

JasoP

Hi all. I'm new to upland hunting. I've gone 2 times this year, once for quail during the first week of season and today for pheasant/quail. Unsurprisingly I was unsuccessful both times. The first time I was skunked but at least today I saw a couple hens and a covey of quail (or at least I think I did). Both occasions were on type c wildlife areas. My question is are the type a areas managed better and therefore have more game or are they managed purely for duck? More specifically, what are the differences for upland hunting on Colusa Bypass Wildlife Area vs the Colusa national wildlife refuge?

Thanks for any help.
Jason

I've never hunted those specific places but yes, type A areas usually have better habitat than type c areas.

Welcome to UPH.

Last edited:
I've hunted both those areas for years along with all the Class As and a lot of the C areas too. The As are "managed" with the emphasis on waterfowl because that is where grant money is while the Cs are left largely to fend for themselves. That doesn't mean there are no hunting opportunities on C areas but since they can be hunted 7 days a week with no limit on the number of hunters, they get pounded. You have to do research on all the C areas and then spend the time to learn them. You'll find the ones that are worth hunting and the ones that aren't. As a point of information the Daughtrey Hill Class C wildlife area had a big portion of it burned up in the Loma Rica fire. In the immediate coming years when new growth comes up it can be beneficial to upland birds. Quail and turkeys in the case of Daughtery Hill.

Thanks Quail Hound and Calamari.

Calamari, since you have been there, once they flood the free roam areas at Colusa refuge does it drive out the upland game? Or is it still worth me checking it out? Do these places really get that much upland pressure or to the deer hunters count? I'm not trying to question your knowledge, just trying to understand since I don't see many cars/people. I was at Daughtery hill opening weekend and I only saw deer hunters. I just looked at a fire map and it looks like 3 of the 4 units completely burned. Thanks for the tip. I will be out there more next season. I'm definitely just trying to learn the areas at this point. I was hesitant to shoot at the quails I busted cause I knew there was no was I was going to find them. I was standing in waist high cockleburs. I'm just enjoying hiking around and learning.

Thanks Quail Hound and Calamari.

Calamari, since you have been there, once they flood the free roam areas at Colusa refuge does it drive out the upland game? Or is it still worth me checking it out? Do these places really get that much upland pressure or to the deer hunters count? I'm not trying to question your knowledge, just trying to understand since I don't see many cars/people...

I'm a little confused. Are you talking about the Colusa National Wildlife Area or the Class "C" Colusa By-Pass Wildlife area? As far as the by-pass, I saw three vehicles at the spillway opening day which isn't where most people park to hunt the area. Again, "C" areas are a 7 day a week free deal while the "A" areas are only three days with a fee. That alone results in more pressure until it's shot off. Also when guys can't get onto "A" areas because they're full or closed they'll often spill over onto the nearest "C" areas. There is no deer hunting on the Colusa "A" area.
So, what "Flooding" and which area?

Further, I checked the regs for Daughtery Hill and I assume it's true elsewhere besides in the C and D deer zones but the way I read the regs deer season is closed when pheasant season is open.

Sorry my response was kinda all over the place. I was not talking about Colusa for opening weekend. I have not been there yet and only brought up those areas because of the vicinity of each other and the A vs C question. Yesterday for Pheasant I was at Fremont Weir. And I was talking about Daugherty Hill on opening weekend for valley quail. I understand what your saying about pressure now; 7 days a week with as many hunters vs limited days and limited hunters. Again, I'm not trying to question your knowledge, I was just confused. I appreciate your help. This is all new and I've been reading a ton about the areas but most of the info is about ducks with the exclusion of GUIDE TO HUNTING QUAIL IN CALIFORNIA on DFG website.

Don't worry about questioning what I say. I'm not that delicate a flower and will defend what I think is correct and apologize for what's wrong.
So, what areas are you wondering about being flooded and how that affects hunting?
I don't know any Class "A" areas in the North Valley that allow quail hunting so that leaves just the "C" stuff. Look at the federal wildlife area websites for information about their class "C" stuff. If you're in Chico look NE of you for quail. The Ishi Wilderness (read his story) and on to the Tehama Wildlife area. LOTS of country there and birds but not easy hunting.
Fremont Weir can have a few birds on it but it does flood often and was flooded for a long period last year. When those by-passes flood all the animals go to the levees or into the trees. It's hard on them so Fremont in particular has a pretty low pheasant population but a slightly larger number of quail. Look for them. There are deer hunters there during the open season. If someone is hunting deer when it's closed, call Cal Tip.

Back