New to upland hunting and Montana

brandonwaddle

Well hello! I'm Brandon, I just started upland hunting about three years ago. Although with school and work its been hard to really get a grasp on everything. I have a year old GSP buy the name of "Ace" who isn't really trained but still gets the job done. I have moved here from Arizona (quail country) and just want to know some general areas where the birds might be at (i'm not asking for grandpa's special spot) looking for general areas. Also if anyone has some information about grouse as in how to hunt them where they like to hang out at and what my dog needs to work on that would be great! Thank you.
Here is a picture of my short hair:)View attachment 4193

Brandon, Welcome to UPH.
Tell you what! Your pup Ace is a FINE looking bird dog. :thumbsup:

Nice pic, looks like MT Sharp Tail Country. Country side like that will almost always hold Sharptails.

I have tons of info, don't know where to start.
Tell us more about where your located and what part of MT your most interested in.

I live in Butte, but drive to Bozeman quite a bit. I'm open to driving a ways to find some birds. I have seen some grouse in the bangtails out of season of course, but i know they are there:)
And just because I'm a proud owner here is my dog on his first pheasant hunt!

Welcome Brandon

Good Looking Pup.
I hunt mainly in the NE corner of Montana. Although the CPR acres are diminishing. There is still some decent hunting on some of the sign-in private acres. Pheasant hunting is miles driven X miles walked X birds that pup points (or flushes in my case) = Great sport.
Welcome
PBF

Good Looking Pup.
I hunt mainly in the NE corner of Montana. Although the CPR acres are diminishing. There is still some decent hunting on some of the sign-in private acres. Pheasant hunting is miles driven X miles walked X birds that pup points (or flushes in my case) = Great sport.
Welcome
PBF

I'll just have to add. "yep" to this.
Ain't going to find SD numbers here, But then, if you want to spend the day to get a chance at a few WILD roosters.
Got a good heavy cover working bird dog, that you and the pup work at it all day long.
Come on, have some fun. :cheers:

Last edited:
You have some good blue (or now dusky) , ruffed, and spruce grouse hunting in the Mountains around you. There is also some good Hungarian partridge hunting, in places no one to the east of you would believe. Do not be surprised to find them while looking for blue grouse near the sagebrush/Douglas fir tree line. BTW, blues are probably the finest table fare you will find near your home. There is good bird hunting in eastern Montana but you will be driving by some good hunting en route. :cheers:

Back