New to the forum & the sport & need help

chucktator

I'm new to both the forum & the sport and was hoping someone could give me some tips as to strategy and public access lands that might actually have some birds. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Chucktator,
Glad to have you here. Go to the introduction and introduce yourself and I'm sure there will be someone to help. Just a great bunch here. Hope to hear from you often and good luck!

Hey Chuck- Welcome. Here's the deal. Go to your local sporting goods retailer (if you haven't done so already), get a small game license, habitat stamp, walk-in permit, and a walk in atlas. Study the atlas and find some areas that have walk-in access in the northeastern part of the state. Drive out there and find a good field with cover and food nearby and hop in! There are plenty of birds and if you're willing to work you will be greatly rewarded.
The only way you will get good at strategy is to learn from experience. It's better that way anyways. Keep your eyes peeled when driving and get out there when there is some snow so you can better understand their activity. Good luck and keep us posted on your developments.

What W21 said but don't be afraid to knock on few doors and ask for permission, you will have better luck with landowners later in the season has been my experience. Also watch for some of the more seasoned hunters to give a few hints on here, not locations but covers the birds are in and such.........Van

Yes, do not hesitate to knock on doors. I found that it is can be somewhat of an art gaining permission. Drive slowly, be friendly, humble, and spend some time shooting the breeze with them. From my experience, in certain cases when I was not initially granted permission, upon striking up a conversation and getting to know them I was allowed to hunt. Like anyone, people just want to get the feeling that you are respectful and will leave everything as you found it. Many of these relationships are lasting and I very much enjoy catching up from year to year.

It also doesn't hurt to ask them if they want any Coyotes shot (provided you know how to do this). Many of my relationships have blossomed when I mentioned that I will gladly take care of predators!

It also doesn't hurt to ask them if they want any Coyotes shot (provided you know how to do this).

This may seem like a dumb question, but what's the "right" way to kill coyotes? short answer is fine, I'm not looking for a tutorial, never done it and just wondering. I've heard of people doing everything from shooting them long range with a 7mm to calling them in to very close range and using a shotgun.

Dead is dead and the caliber is not important. Although typically smaller and faster rounds are used such as 22/250 or .243. I will not say where I live in Parker but I shoot them all the time across the street from my house with a .17. Yip Yip and boom.

thanks for all of the info. hunting coyotes is one of my wife & my favorite things to do, but i can't get her out to hunt anything else. I have always been nervous walking up to homes and asking to hunt their land, but that sounds like something I need to try. do you usually offer to share your game?

thanks for all of the info. hunting coyotes is one of my wife & my favorite things to do, but i can't get her out to hunt anything else. I have always been nervous walking up to homes and asking to hunt their land, but that sounds like something I need to try. do you usually offer to share your game?

I have definitely offered up a pheasant or two but only when the conversation went that direction. It's not usually a big deal and you certainly have nothing to lose in asking permission to hunt someones land.

Back