New O/U

MetroGSP

Planning to buy a new field gun for the season. I wanted to get any advice anyone might have. Looking to spend up to $1500. Right now I’m thinking about the Franchi Instinct L, the Weatherby Orion 1, and the Winchester 101. Any other suggestions? I haven’t tried any yet, but these all seem to be very similar in size/weight. Probably going with a 12g, and I primarily do upland, although I never rule out a waterfowling trip.

Thanks for the thoughts in advance.

The Franchi stock might feel a little longer in the grip area. Italian style and such, maybe just a 1/2" or less.

The Weatherby Orion 1 is made in Turkey and I'm not sure it's from one the better manufacturers. Your other two options sound better.

An older Weatherby Orion, made by SKB would make a solid choice as well. It wouldn't be new but one would likely fall nicely into your budget. That being said, simply getting a Japanese SKB would serve you well.

Last edited:
I just got the franchi instinct SL in 20ga last week. Carried it last weekend and it was amazing compared to my old 12ga. 5.8lbs makes an all day carrier pretty easy. It also shoulders really well.

An older Weatherby Orion, made by SKB would make a solid choice as well. It wouldn't be new but one would likely fall nicely into your budget. That being said, simply getting a Japanese SKB would serve you well.

Another SKB fan!

I second the above advice. I've got an SKB Weatherby Orion. That gun sold me on SKB. Now I also have an SKB Sporting in 12 & 20. Nice shotguns. A bit straighter stock than most, which I like.

Another SKB fan!

I second the above advice. I've got an SKB Weatherby Orion. That gun sold me on SKB. Now I also have an SKB Sporting in 12 & 20. Nice shotguns. A bit straighter stock than most, which I like.

My first SKB was a 505. Loved it but I missed a few too many times. Bought a 585 Waterfowler and it was perfect for me. Had to let it go due to money needs and have always regretted that decision. Doing OK now with a Rizzini, which eases the bite.

Beretta or Browning are the best guns for the money. You will need to look for a nice pre-owned one in that price range. Some nice guns come on the market right before Christmas.

IMO, the Winchester 101 Ultimate Field is the best bargain in an OU at the price point. Very well built gun. Not fancy, but functional. Belgium build, but assembled in Portugal. I got tired of lugging around an 8 pound OU. So, last year I bought both the 101 and the Orion. The 101 has become my go to gun. Light enough to carry but not so light that recoil is any problem. Almost the same lock up as the Beretta SP 1, but with an extra lug on the bottom of the receiver. It is not the old 101 except for the dimensions. Bass Pro and Cabelas carry them. If you want to spend more for gloss and a higher grade wood get the non Bass Pro models, but I don't see the point for a field gun.

The new Orion is a tad heavier than the 101. It is still a lower profile gun with the Beretta style lock up. It has a different feel due to the shape of the forearm, which also attaches differently. It is a glossy gun where the 101 is more subdued. It is not quite as tight as the 101, but is not what I would call loosely constructed. Fit and finish on mine is quite good.

I shoot the 101 just slightly better and think it has a more lively feeling barrel set. But, I'd be happy with just either one. They are 1A and 1B among the shotguns I own and I have some far more expensive pieces. You know, those $2000 dollar price range guns the experts say you have to have to find quality. They fit me better and at the price I don't have to worry about normal light handling marks from hunting them.

I looked at the Instinct L, but it had too much cast for me and was on the too light end of the scale. I don't feel recoil when shooting at birds, but heavy field loads, a less than perfect mount, and the next day my cheek tells me I did something wrong. I like light weight as long as it doesn't give gifts that keep on giving and IME, the lighter the gun the longer lasting the gift.

Natty mentioned pre-owned guns. There are lots of nice OU's in your price range and one the advantages of buying a field gun is that it probably hasn't shot a thousand or tens of thousands of rounds on the trap and skeet fields. Maybe a few hundred for practice every year. If you are patient, sometimes you can get a gun that has only been fired a few times and immediately traded on something different or was an evaluation model for a gunshop. I once picked up a very nice OU that had been fired one time for about 800 dollars off the regular price. It's nice to let someone else take the depreciation. Sometimes, Joel Etchen Guns will have a really nice gun with a minor, and I mean you need patience and a magnifying glass to find it, scratch that happened in shipping and they heavily discount those guns down into your price range. Wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

Thanks for all of your input.

I went with the 101 for my first foray into the O/U world. I don’t think I’m going to be disappointed.

Back