New Member from Nebraska

NE_Sandhiller

Hey guys, my name is Matt and I live in the Sandhills of Nebraska. Never really been on any forums but I like talking about birds and birddogs. I primarily hunt sharptail and prairie chicken here, but I take yearly trips to Wyoming (Sage grouse are my favorite game bird) as well as North Dakota and Kansas for huns and bobwhite quail. I hunt almost exclusively horseback with my English Pointers on public land. I have a couple buddies that bring horses and dogs along on the big trips, but otherwise I don't know anyone who does this style of hunting and I'd love to find more people in that space to bounce ideas off of and share ideas wBoone with Sage Grouse.jpgith.

You are now the second person I've heard of that hunts in this manner. The other is the CEO of the largest importer of fireworks in the U.S. His name is Mick Marietta of Jakes Fireworks. He hunts in South Dakota, west of Mobridge.

Good lookin' pony!!

You are now the second person I've heard of that hunts in this manner. The other is the CEO of the largest importer of fireworks in the U.S. His name is Mick Marietta of Jakes Fireworks. He hunts in South Dakota, west of Mobridge.

Good lookin' pony!!
Thanks, I've always been partial to buckskin horses.

South Dakota is a little sticky for that type of hunting. It's the only state that I'm aware of that explicitly states that a person cannot use a horse on any public land, including federal land except for special exceptions during August on the Fort Pierre grasslands with a permit. So I'm pretty much restricted to private ground.

That's awesome! Always wanted to do that. Welcome, Good looking Buckskin. Sage grouse on the saddle horn?

Hey guys, my name is Matt and I live in the Sandhills of Nebraska. Never really been on any forums but I like talking about birds and birddogs. I primarily hunt sharptail and prairie chicken here, but I take yearly trips to Wyoming (Sage grouse are my favorite game bird) as well as North Dakota and Kansas for huns and bobwhite quail. I hunt almost exclusively horseback with my English Pointers on public land. I have a couple buddies that bring horses and dogs along on the big trips, but otherwise I don't know anyone who does this style of hunting and I'd love to find more people in that space to bounce ideas off of and share ideas wView attachment 8183ith.
I’ve got a friend in central tx that chases his pointers horseback. I’ve had the pleasure of tagging along several times and it’s a blast. It takes a horse to chase hot bred English pointers!

I’ve got a friend in central tx that chases his pointers horseback. I’ve had the pleasure of tagging along several times and it’s a blast. It takes a horse to chase hot bred English pointers
We're planning a trip to Arizona this year to chase desert quail. I'm hoping with horses those running blue and gambel's quail will have a hard time getting away from us horseback. We've got fast horses.

We're planning a trip to Arizona this year to chase desert quail. I'm hoping with horses those running blue and gambel's quail will have a hard time getting away from us horseback. We've got fast horses.
Me too in January if things work out… I won’t be horseback but would love to stand on a ridge and watch. Gambel’s and blues are a blast, my favorite two birds

Back