New GPS collars

Mosby

My old Astro and gps collars are over 10 years old and I have a young Vizsla and a GSP that like to run. I have decided to get a new GPS collar/system. I also have a 550 e collar which is relatively new and dogs wear 2 collars when we hunt. Going through my options last night I came up with the following:

- buy 2 new gps collars and add them to my old Astro. Save some money but I still have a 10 year old Astro. I use the Onyx chips in the Astro and read they will be getting rid of them, so there could be an issue keeping maps on the unit current going forward.
- buy a 550 + and go from 2 collars on the dog to one and keep the 550 as a back up. I've read about problems with 550+.
- buy the new Alpha 300 w/2 collars. Most expensive option. Not sure the Alpha is fast enough on correction for me.
- buy the Alpha 10 for the GPS and use the 550 I have for correction. Save some weight on the controller. I've read the Alpha 10 sucks when the weather gets cold for correction. Controls too small but I can use the 550 I have.

Right now I am leaning towards the 550+ and have a single collar for each dog or the Alpha 10 route but still have 2 collars on the dogs.

Anyone recently go through this process? What did you buy? How is it working for you? This is a big expense for me, so I thought I would see what others are doing...good and bad. Thanks.

I have the 550+ for about a year or two because my dog kept running off. My dog trainer recomend the 550+. I like it and it has worked well for me. The screen is easy to and gives you what you need to find your dog. And you can conect it to a app to see exactly were your dog is. The only problem I have is it is a little hard to calibrate it. Its really finicky on how you do it. And you have to buy on of there lanyards or holsters. You can't just use a normal lanyard and they dont give you one. Which I don't like because you spend all that mouny then have to spend more. I do leather work so I made my own holster. Do not put it in your vest. I did that at first and it fell out, out grouse hunting at my grandparents. My dad and I went out the next day and found it. But we couldn't of ever found it on a long hunt on public lands.

Attachments

• 20230714_103310.jpg
    20230714_103310.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
550+ is much like the 550 and is great for fast corrections. The downside (which many still wouldn’t consider a downside) is the screen is simple only telling you the direction and distance of the dog(s) currently are.
The alpha does a much better job of “tracking”. It tracks now only we’re your dog(s) currently are, but where you are and where your truck is. It also tracks the paths you and your dog(s) take. This is all imposed on a map which can show boundaries of land. It also show you distance travelled. Many will say “it’s more information than it need”. Downside is correction is more cumbersome although each series seems to better address that issue. I have both. Hunting with one dog I typically use the 550+. Multiple dogs with more dogs than hunters the alpha is nice.

Because I am by myself most of the time, I normally only hunt 1 dog at a time and I'm leaning toward the 550+. I am thinking it will do what I need and like the idea of a single collar on the dog and I am familiar with the controller. This is been really helpful. Thanks.

Because I am by myself most of the time, I normally only hunt 1 dog at a time and I'm leaning toward the 550+. I am thinking it will do what I need and like the idea of a single collar on the dog and I am familiar with the controller. This is been really helpful. Thanks.
make sure you don’t “tuck” the end of antenna into the collar but make sure it’s “free”. For whatever reason we have seen it doesn’t track as accurate when people tuck it in tight to the collar. Also make sure to remove the collar when the dog is in the crate. Your antenna will last longer.

this type of collar is not for everyone, i can see my dog getting restless and chewing off the antenna.

make sure you don’t “tuck” the end of antenna into the collar but make sure it’s “free”. For whatever reason we have seen it doesn’t track as accurate when people tuck it in tight to the collar. Also make sure to remove the collar when the dog is in the crate. Your antenna will last longer.
The antenna doesn't have anything to do with the gps tracking, it handles the signals from the remote for traditional e-collar functions. The GPS receiver is the little black square on the collar from what I've read. I really wish they would make the antenna shorter, it annoys the hell out of most dogs. Other brands have shorter ones and seem to work fine.

The antenna doesn't have anything to do with the gps tracking, it handles the signals from the remote for traditional e-collar functions. The GPS receiver is the little black square on the collar from what I've read. I really wish they would make the antenna shorter, it annoys the hell out of most dogs. Other brands have shorter ones and seem to work fine.
Neither of my dogs seemed to care about the antennas. I do wish they made them shorter tho, they just look so stupid.

The antenna does matter. It's what sends the GPS data to the handheld from the collar, not just the e-collar functions. You get more range with the long antenna.

I have the 550+ for about a year or two because my dog kept running off. My dog trainer recomend the 550+. I like it and it has worked well for me. The screen is easy to and gives you what you need to find your dog. And you can conect it to a app to see exactly were your dog is. The only problem I have is it is a little hard to calibrate it. Its really finicky on how you do it. And you have to buy on of there lanyards or holsters. You can't just use a normal lanyard and they dont give you one. Which I don't like because you spend all that mouny then have to spend more. I do leather work so I made my own holster. Do not put it in your vest. I did that at first and it fell out, out grouse hunting at my grandparents. My dad and I went out the next day and found it. But we couldn't of ever found it on a long hunt on public lands.
I paint all of my remotes orange when I first get them. Helps a lot when you drop one!

Back