New from MN

MNMEAD

Hi all,

New to the forum here. Been grouse hunting and bowhunting NW WI and Northern MN my whole life. Pheasant hunted a lot with my dad when I was a kid starting from about age 6, then haven't been after them again for about 15 years. Have two female GSP's. The 10 year old (liver/roan) is starting to slow down, and we wanted to make sure she was still moving well enough to teach a young one a thing or two. We got a puppy in April, who is 8 months old now (liver/white) and a big handful both at home and in the field. I haven't felt the passion to sit in a tree much this year, so on a whim, decided to pack the truck with my wife and two GSP's and head down to south central/west MN for the weekend and try to find some birds. Over Saturday and Sunday, we had 32 flushes and took home 2 roosters. I whiffed 2 layup shots, and on the last walk of the weekend misidentified a rooster as a hen only to have it cackle in mockery at me as it hit about 30 yards and my gun was back at my chest. It was a great weekend, and I learned a lot about bird cover and habitat. Looking forward to being involved in the forum here, and many more days in the fields.

Attachments

• B76AD553-7DF2-47FF-8A06-BAC1BEDC9C77.jpg
    B76AD553-7DF2-47FF-8A06-BAC1BEDC9C77.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • B02853DA-1C89-4AF6-A1D7-6CF0AC946A50.jpg
    B02853DA-1C89-4AF6-A1D7-6CF0AC946A50.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
Hi all,

New to the forum here. Been grouse hunting and bowhunting NW WI and Northern MN my whole life. Pheasant hunted a lot with my dad when I was a kid starting from about age 6, then haven't been after them again for about 15 years. Have two female GSP's. The 10 year old (liver/roan) is starting to slow down, and we wanted to make sure she was still moving well enough to teach a young one a thing or two. We got a puppy in April, who is 8 months old now (liver/white) and a big handful both at home and in the field. I haven't felt the passion to sit in a tree much this year, so on a whim, decided to pack the truck with my wife and two GSP's and head down to south central/west MN for the weekend and try to find some birds. Over Saturday and Sunday, we had 32 flushes and took home 2 roosters. I whiffed 2 layup shots, and on the last walk of the weekend misidentified a rooster as a hen only to have it cackle in mockery at me as it hit about 30 yards and my gun was back at my chest. It was a great weekend, and I learned a lot about bird cover and habitat. Looking forward to being involved in the forum here, and many more days in the fields.
Wow never seen a bird big enough to hold the transmitter before.🙂
Welcome to the forum. Seems to be a bunch of good people,and goosemaster,here.

Welcome - I'm often chasing grouse as well but its about the time of year that I switch to the prairies.

I had the same conditions on my hunts so far this year. Three times we limited out by 11am or noon. If we didn't, knocked off for a long break in the afternoon and hunted the last hour or so of the day.

Back