New A5 Sweet Sixteen review.

So the "new" Sweet 16 w/ a 26" barrel isn't a particularly long gun. And it's obviously lighter than crap. So why do so many people think they should offer a shorter barrel? Simply so it'll fit better in a case you currently own? Or in a storage compartment? Or because you perceive a couple of inches of "sighting plane" making a difference in the overall feel??
I think it’s cause the receiver is about 26” long by itself.

So the "new" Sweet 16 w/ a 26" barrel isn't a particularly long gun. And it's obviously lighter than crap. So why do so many people think they should offer a shorter barrel? Simply so it'll fit better in a case you currently own? Or in a storage compartment? Or because you perceive a couple of inches of "sighting plane" making a difference in the overall feel??
My reasoning is also personal preference. As I stated in an earlier post, my absolute favorite shotgun I have ever owned and used is my old Belgian A5 Light 12 gauge that has a 24" barrel. Even though I'm 6'5" tall, I just prefer a shorter barreled gun. Also, I live in Texas and do most of my hunting here for bobwhite quail, so having a shorter barrel seems to help me swing faster and get in front of those little rockets.

As far as the storage compartments on my dog trailer are concerned, every shotgun I own (and I have a few of them) will fit in those compartments except for the Sweet 16. I think if it had the 26" barrel it might fit, but I'm not 100% sure. When I travel to hunt, whether that be around home or far away, I like to haul the guns in the top of the dog trailer because they can be locked up and are out of sight and secure.

does anybody reload 16s. I'm thinking about it. If so what reloader you use?
I gotta second 16ga.com. I reload using an older mec650. For pheasant loads it's maybe 3-5 cents cheapers than the loads I like, and for 7.5s or 8s I don't think I can do it cheaper. That said those costs are based off buying new material (I wanted a high baseline). Once you start getting empties it gets cheaper. But good luck finding reloading supplies 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Back