New A5 first day at the range

No I had that on order already with Reeds before I snap purchased the A5. I want them both.👽

It has been interesting to follow this and the original thread about the new A5. I have a Citori in 16 ga and was debating trying an A5 just because but now thinking I'll stay with the O/U. Can only shoot one at a time any ways.

Browning A5

There has been two other stocks that broke on A5 on the 16 gauge website. I hope this gets resolved quickly.

I know a guy down here in Arizona that is from Colorado. He bought a new Sweet Sixteen and the first time at the range the bolt handle flew off and he was unable to find it. He is now having a very difficult time getting a replacement bolt handle from Browning. He's friends with a Browning rep and still having problems. Browning says they don't have the parts. :confused:

Think I'll wait a year or two before buying one and let them get all the bugs out.

I know a guy down here in Arizona that is from Colorado. He bought a new Sweet Sixteen and the first time at the range the bolt handle flew off and he was unable to find it. He is now having a very difficult time getting a replacement bolt handle from Browning. He's friends with a Browning rep and still having problems. Browning says they don't have the parts. :confused:

Think I'll wait a year or two before buying one and let them get all the bugs out.

George, I pulled my bolt handle out of my new 12 ga, A5 and it's in a slot that's reasonably tight. The bold merely pulls out; my Bng. Gold has a different arrangement. You must push the shell catch down, in order to remove the bolt handle.

I personally like the old style on my Gold. The shell that's in the chamber rests against the shell stop. The new A5 doesn't have a shell stop. The shell is held back by a lever/tang just outside the mag. port. It's not 100%. If you accidentally hit the cycle button, the shell ends up under the flipper. Some have reported this on other sites.

I have two additional Browning guns - Gold and very old A5. Can't say I'm impressed with the new features...but I'm old and set in my ways!

The A5

The new sixteen is a nimble gun, I hope they get the issues worked out as ithere aren't too many manufacturers pushing semi affordable guns out in that gauge.

I talked to Browning today, like George said there isn't a huge surplus of parts for the 16 gauge gun, they are looking at the gun now and thought they would be sending me a brand new gun shortly. Super nice guys, I wish they would make a 725 in 16.

I talked to Browning today, like George said there isn't a huge surplus of parts for the 16 gauge gun, they are looking at the gun now and thought they would be sending me a brand new gun shortly. Super nice guys, I wish they would make a 725 in 16.

Can't imagine there's a huge demand for extra bolt handles!

What did they say about your stock split...don't hit miscreants with it?

Good luck - the jury is still out on my 12ga A5. I ordered a 26" barrel and feel it's still too long. Would consider cutting it off, but don't think it's possible the way they made the chokes fit et al. Assume a 24" isn't available...

IMO, that bolt handle was never fully snapped into place. I have three friends and myself with new A5's and not a one has had a issue. Some have put 1,000's of rounds through their's.

Also, it doesn't matter if you have a shell slip the out of the mag tube onto the carrier. The gun with fire and function as designed.

The inter-net seems to always be the big negative. Every new gun that comes out takes a beating.

I love my 3.5" it has been flawless.

Enjoying some mild winter weather I decided to go try a few new guns out including the new A5, a 1962 Stevens 311a, and the Winchester model 24 all in 16 gauge. First up was the Stevens I shot it marginally well but decided it needs a pad to increase lop. Next up was the Winchester model 24, I'd read all the negativity about this gun akin to a 2x4 but went on a streak with this gun, bad mount, bad stance, not focusing on the bird didn't seem to matter, I couldn't miss I remember thinking maybe they did build things better back then, this thing is awesome. Finally it was time to shoot my A5, one of two guns of many that has killer looking wood, I launched the bird and the target exploded but something did not feel right, In horror I saw that the stock was cracked from one side of the receiver to the next. I did the only thing I could, I got the 24 out and shot some more clays. The A5 was 99,999 short of its guarantee, we'll see what Browning says or does, Scheels prepared it to send it back tommorow. The shell was a one ounce rgl, maybe they did make things better in 1950. It's a bummer but at least I wasn't injured. That was a damn fine looking stock, my guess is that there was a existing crack as it followed a grain line pretty uniformly. What a buzzkill.

Serious buzz kill- I have two a5's, both made in the 30's.They are great guns, and always work.You should get an old one.

OK, as the proud owner of a pristine and great shooting '67 Sweet Sixteen along with a Citori Feather 16, I've been keeping an eye on this blog for some time. At the Amarillo gun show, I finally got to fondle a 'new' A5 Sixteen and was disappointed. Not sure what I was expecting but just did not like it. Nothing against those of you who have one but I'll believe I'll pass. If you are looking for one, Damron's Pawn and Gun as one...$1599.00.

You can get a nice Belgium A5 fit 5 bones.

Back