ND Hunt

Fenway

Just got back from Mon- Fri hunt in NW part of the state did not do well at all compared to other years, some of it was bad luck some the state of hunting post CRP. I normally hunt 65% public 35% private but my private has been hayed or turned into crops so I was 100% PLOTS. I found the PLOTS land heavily pressured compared to other years so the birds were spotty and spooky on my usually reliable spots. My Springer who is my best Pheasant dog cuts his arm pit wide open on the first day and gets put on the shelf by the vet{which cost me half a day finding a vet within an hour drive}so I'm left with my Setter who hasn't totally figured out wild Roosters. I did do some traveling and found a few more decent spots to try later. I decided to hunt the Springer the last day and a half and did see more birds but the Roosters were very tough to flush in range, but getting into birds was much more enjoyable for the dog and hunter.
Don't get me wrong the bird numbers are up, on private land you see birds galore but the PLOTS areas are being hit pretty hard with so much CRP gone and other areas had to be cut.
I hope to go back in Dec. when the public areas might be better again.
JW

Fenway, Where were you at? I am going out west in about 3 weeks, but more southern around Regent, Mott, Dickenson. Were you north of there?

Sorry SW, about were your going, maybe it will be better later in the year.
I'm going back in Dec.
lots of birds just less habitat.

Back