My worst day afield

BigRand

Saturday 10/28 started like any other Saturday during pheasant season for Asher and I. We were headed out to chase roosters like we do on every day off I have during the season. Exception for west river deer season. We got do a spot that had produced birds for us in the last couple years. She was birdy the whole time and I was really surprised we only got two birds up. The first we saw land a ways away and we proceeded to head that direction and about a half hour to get there she points and he rises. My dad made a good shot and the bird falls dead. Kept walking and she locked up again and another rooster and another shot by dad, he's older but still out shoots me, another bird down. We proceed to another spot and we get to the back of this public area and she gets bird. Up come a very late hatch group of birds. Five all together. After watching them disappear into the next field we notice she is not placing any weight on one if her back leg. Fearing the worst I have my dad carry the guns back and I carry my dog with a heavy heart the half mile back to the truck. A trip to the ER vet and the say that her CCL is torn. After confirming with my primary vet today it is certinty that she tore it completely. Now it looks to be a TPLO surgery and a couple months recovery. No day I've had afield even compares to the sadness I felt having to carry my best friend to the truck.

I can't imagine what that feels like. My thoughts are with you. Hope the surgery goes well and the recovery is quick.

Lee

Saturday 10/28 started like any other Saturday during pheasant season for Asher and I. We were headed out to chase roosters like we do on every day off I have during the season. Exception for west river deer season. We got do a spot that had produced birds for us in the last couple years. She was birdy the whole time and I was really surprised we only got two birds up. The first we saw land a ways away and we proceeded to head that direction and about a half hour to get there she points and he rises. My dad made a good shot and the bird falls dead. Kept walking and she locked up again and another rooster and another shot by dad, he's older but still out shoots me, another bird down. We proceed to another spot and we get to the back of this public area and she gets bird. Up come a very late hatch group of birds. Five all together. After watching them disappear into the next field we notice she is not placing any weight on one if her back leg. Fearing the worst I have my dad carry the guns back and I carry my dog with a heavy heart the half mile back to the truck. A trip to the ER vet and the say that her CCL is torn. After confirming with my primary vet today it is certinty that she tore it completely. Now it looks to be a TPLO surgery and a couple months recovery. No day I've had afield even compares to the sadness I felt having to carry my best friend to the truck.

in duluth, mn, where i live, that is a $3k surgery. My female lab tore hers 3 years ago...I brought her to Ely, Mn instead...they did the more traditional surgery...$870. all in. that same dog tore the other side last fall...kind of typical. Had the surgery this spring. $980 2.5 years later. she is 6. has done great this season so far...3 trips so far. GOOD LUCK!!!!

With the recommendation of my primary vet I'm going with the TPLO. He estimated it at 2,800 and the suture at 1,800. With as active as Asher is they felt this to be the better version for her. Did tell me that 50% of dogs who tear one knee will tear the other within 6 months to a year with either version. Kind of a kick in the nuts as far as price but she is part of the family and the decision was very easy for me to make as to what to do. Did say that the surgery has a high success rate and they usually turn out good as new. At five years old and in great health otherwise I'm very optomistic. Fingers crossed she comes out great.

I hope everything goes well and your dog heals quickly. Our dogs are a big part of our family and it’s tough when something happens to them. Keep us posted.

BB how was the rehab process?

good...i did the passive range of motion exercises for a few weeks and started short walks after about a month I think...then, after about 6 weeks, I swam her in lake superior about 5x a week...that became her rehab...same program after the 2nd procedure this spring...I would go with TPLO as well if I wasn't so cheap and knew there was a good chance of the other side tearing...my vet clinic in Ely Mn is a place I had referred friends for this procedure, and they turned out well...I will give her rimadyl when needed for life, mostly hunting season...you won't have to, more than likely...best of luck to you, so sorry...if you are out your only dog, PM me to find out where you are if you want to tag along on a hunt...

Sorry to hear that Big Rand. My 2 year old GSP had two TPLOs done in Sioux Falls. I think hes pretty much bulletproof now. The problem after investing that kind of dough, is that theres still plenty of perils in a digs life, and I tend to be a little more protective of him, particularly around roads. Do you have a backup dog? Theres never a good time for the injury, but one week into the season is tough duty..

R

i learned long ago, have a back up dog. good luck, my lab from many years ago tore her ACL, surgery went well, she was fine.

Getting the next dog is on the agenda in a couple years. We are in the middle of having kids. So the second dog is on the way in a couple years. I couldn't talk the wife into two kids under three and two dogs. My parents have a lab but she is retired now. So I used to have the access to two dogs.

My first bird dog was a Black Labrador named Zachary. Zack was an excellent dog and basically taught me how to hunt. At two years of age, he blew his left CCL during the hunting season. Torn partially at first and then completely. It was repaired using the Traditional Extracapsular technique with excellent results. After a six month recovery period, he blew the right knee chasing bumpers in the Wisconsin River. We repaired the right knee immediately and Zack was able to hunt that year with no problem. After the traditional repair, Zack's knees were fine and he hunted on them for 10 years. Zach died at 13 from a bladder tumor. I have had experience with two dogs that have had the TPLO surgery and, I for one, am not a fan. The first dogs was a champion field trial Labrador and after the surgery, she was never able to trial again. The second dog is my neighbors and Freddy is a mixed breed that got both knees done with TPLO. The second operation had complications and the total cost ended was about $12,000 for both knees. Do some research on the net before you spend big money on TPLO. The outcomes are about the same as Extracapsular repair and you can save some big money. TPLO surgery is also very invasive and tough on the dog. Metal plates with screws are involved and if infection sets in (which is what happen with Freddy) lots of antibiotics and a second surgery to remove the screws is needed. My vet here in MT does not recommend TPLO. Keep in mind that weak CCL ligaments are a genetic trait in dogs and if one tears, your dog has a 50% chance of tearing the CCL in the other knee.

My Yellow Lab tore both her CCL's too. The first one went at 5 and the second at 6.5. I followed the recommended rehab plan completely with one exception (I couldn't pay the $75/week lap swim at the indoor pool during the winter). Both legs are stable, but she can barely stand up after a day of hunting, especially if she spent some time in a pet porter afterwards. She was a hard charging pheasant and waterfowl machine approaching her prime years and due to those surgeries (which were $3500 each) she has really struggled for the last 4 seasons. She's now 11 years old and has been doing ok but again, really sore. We live in country with a lot of birds so we don't usually have to hunt for too long. We hunt with other aging dogs (9, 10 and 11) and it's like comparing Betty White to Usain Bolt when they're in the field. Fortunately she's a good pointer and has a great nose so she still finds birds.

Long story short.... those injuries were tough on a really good dog. I've hunted with other dogs that recovered much better so I know it can be worth the investment. I bought my pup from a family member who has had many litters with his male and the same bloodline of the female without this issue, however I've had trainers tell me bad CCL's are hereditary, so I will not be buying a dog from the same breeder

Guys, I have a solution for you and this problem, are you ready? Are you open to suggestions? I raise golden's and they are susceptible to these kinds of injuries as well. I am willing to bet most of the dogs talked about here on this thread are either spayed or neutered. When we perform this kind of surgery on typically young dogs we mess up there growth. The bones in a dog's leg stop growing at different times. When you take away some of that reproductive hormones it messes with their physical anatomy. I know this might seem new or unconventional to some of you but I am asking vets and talking with people all the time about this and the experts are agreeing. My solution won't help you on your present dog, but in the future don't spay or neuter your hunting dogs. Even you have to do the procedure wait till they are at least two years old and fully developed. The problem with our dogs is they are athletes and they are using their bodies to the extremes and we need to give them all the help they can as they are developing.

I agree with goldenboy, although admittedly not because I have tons of science to back it up. Mostly based on a little knowledge, some hearsay, and a hunch. My vet says you can neuter a dog anytime, but preferably before he's 6 yrs old. I think it's mostly because if you do it when they're older, they potentially don't handle the surgery as well. Don't know about girl dogs.

Guys, I have a solution for you and this problem, are you ready? Are you open to suggestions? I raise golden's and they are susceptible to these kinds of injuries as well. I am willing to bet most of the dogs talked about here on this thread are either spayed or neutered. When we perform this kind of surgery on typically young dogs we mess up there growth. The bones in a dog's leg stop growing at different times. When you take away some of that reproductive hormones it messes with their physical anatomy. I know this might seem new or unconventional to some of you but I am asking vets and talking with people all the time about this and the experts are agreeing. My solution won't help you on your present dog, but in the future don't spay or neuter your hunting dogs. Even you have to do the procedure wait till they are at least two years old and fully developed. The problem with our dogs is they are athletes and they are using their bodies to the extremes and we need to give them all the help they can as they are developing.

I'm on my 5th Golden Ret. and never have had leg issues. Other medical problems, but not leg issues. None of the dogs were neutered.

Guess I'm fortunate for the relatively good health of these dogs...

I think your absolutely right on this!!!!!

I was told by a professional trainer to never neuter or spay a sporting dog or hunting dog till after the age of 2 years old. It messes with their development among other things.
And I believe Goldenboys point.....

That sounds like it makes sense. Everything you read on these injuries say if your dog is fixed that they so have a higher tendency for this type of injury. Defiantly something I will me considering when I get my second dog.

Keeping your dog intact decreases the incidence of CCL injury 2.1-fold which is significant. This issue has indeed been scientifically studied ( https://www.ors.org/Transactions/50/1311.pdf ). Neutering females also increases the rate if CCL (ACL in the study) injury. On a personal note, I currently have two Black Labradors - Izzy is an 11 year old male that was neutered when he was six months old and he is the uncle to Zeke, 5 years old and neutered last year. Both of these dogs have Candlewood Kennels ancestors. Izzy's mom was from Candlewood and his father was a trials champion named Meet Joe Black. I got Zeke directly from Candlewood and his father was Moses another field champion and his mother was also the offspring of Meet Joe Black thus the relationship between my two dogs. I mention this for two reasons. Izzy is an outstanding retriever, a real sweetheart, and was easy to train. However, he has had problems with lung infections and injured his left rear leg last year. We had the injury checked out and it is not a CCL or hip problem. Probably a foot injury and he is running around now fairly well. However, Zeke who was not neutered until last year is a physical monster. He is fast, in great shape, and hunts like a maniac. However, Zeke is a bonehead. I really had to put the pressure on him with an ecollar to get him under control. He was also getting a bit aggressive until we neutered him last year. He is much better now but still has a few residual problems. I did not neuter Zeke because Candlewood Kennels make me promise not to neuter him until he was at least 18 months old. Having had this experience with two related labradors, one of which was neutered early, I will not neuter my next dog until at least two years old to allow the hormones to aid in development. Then I will wait and watch to see if neutering is necessary for behavior improvement but I will neuter the dog before six years regardless due increase in cancer incidence in intact dogs. Leaving the dog intact is significant for the development of your dog but you as the trainer will probably have more problems getting especially males under control.

Back