My new dog

quail hound

I had planned on starting a new springer in the new year but I had an opportunity to pick up a litter mate to my Lady dog and decided to take a chance. He's almost two and needs a ton of work but hopefully Lady and I can make something of him. Meet Roy, my new setter dog.

View attachment 8825

View attachment 8826

What a nice pair of dogs.. That bottom picture almost looks like its painted on canvas!

Thanks guys. I'll definitely need to get them out there to SD one of these days George.:cheers:

Been a journey with Roy. We basically started at the beginning with the understanding that he is a 2 year old puppy. I think we've got our very basic commands here, heel, and whoa down in the yard and I'm going to transition him into an e collar. Going to put some pigeons in a bird launcher for him and with any luck I might get to hunt him a bit before our season ends.

Sounds like he is coming along nicely, just out of curiosity did he have any exposure to hunting proir to you getting him? I kinda assume no as you rederred to him as a 2yo pup. Anyway you have a fine set of setters!

Sounds like he is coming along nicely, just out of curiosity did he have any exposure to hunting proir to you getting him? I kinda assume no as you rederred to him as a 2yo pup. Anyway you have a fine set of setters!

I think he had bird and gun intro, maybe even hunted a little but he just had no obedience at all or anything so we went back to the beginning. He shows some point. He's a really nice dog, good attitude, well put together, and very handsome.

Great looking dog.

Robert: With your shooting prowess and now two pointers, the pheasants won't have a chance!

Congrats on the new dog - looking forward to seeing them work. Maybe you can produce a video for us?

It's been a while since I've given a Roy update. After much hair pulling he's really settled in around the house and is a nice dog to be around. He's also really turning it on in the field with a nice run, a strong nose, and much style on point. He's really going to be a fine dog I think.

View attachment 9233

Robert - thanks for the update and photo. Assume the strap around his rear end is a shock collar...how does that work for him?

Good looking dog!

It is an e collar. It's used to enforce the "whoa" command. Basically it's an extension of a check cord half hitch around the flank, that's how I started his whoa in the yard so the flank collar is an easy transition that he understands, pressure on the flank means whoa. To be clear whoa and or the flank collar is never used around birds for me, I expect my dogs to find and handle their birds with no inour on my part.

Roy made good on his first real hunt. He nailed a group of sage grouse about 200yds up on a bench and held them like a broke dog until I got there. I held up my end of the deal and took a double over his stylish point.

View attachment 9342

Back