MT& SD trip

We started the day in the grasslands but the only grouse we saw were flying over the roads. Flushed a few roosters from a shelter belt but it was too early.

After lunch in Pierre we headed out and got some GPA along the Missouri and some WIA west.

Daisy

The pay off, a rooster I dunked in the Missouri aka "the swamp rooster".

Could've been a limit but things happen, still not bad for a half a day on public land.

Robert: Glad you found some birds on your journey via Pierre et al.

Enjoyed hunting with you and James again and wish you both well as you continue your hunting vacation.

Jon

re: post #12
You really have the depth of field working on that camera. Great shot of the good looking setter. If I wasn't springer locked I might have considered getting one.

So no trouble finding open ground I take it?

re: post #12
You really have the depth of field working on that camera. Great shot of the good looking setter. If I wasn't springer locked I might have considered getting one.

So no trouble finding open ground I take it?

No problem at all, never shared the field with anyone I didn't want to share it with.

Well we're making our way home and even though we did more driving than hunting the dogs still burned it up on their ninth straight day of hunting. The grouse continued to illude us though we saw quite a few. Hunted a beautiful GPA surrounded by prairie and wheat stubble that looked like text book partridge cover with good brushy draws, an old homestead, and two ponds. Dogs hunted hard and we let more than a few roosters pass since we had plenty already but on the way back to the truck James rewarded them after they tracked a runner for over 100yds before putting him up perfectly for the gun.

These three put it on them hard this trip!

Ended up in Buffalo Gap but all we saw were these guys.

On the road home now. Until next time!:cheers:

Last edited:
That's all she wrote folks!

Glad you came to South Dakota --hope you enjoyed the entire trip :D
Come again anytime

JIM

Glad you came to South Dakota --hope you enjoyed the entire trip :D
Come again anytime

JIM

I sure did Jim, thank you again for your hospitality.:cheers:

Back