Mountain quail

quail hound

The dogs and I went on a quick scouting mission this morning in the central Sierra. First off conditions are much better this year, meadows are lush and the creeks are still flowing. We didn't travel much but hit two of our usual spots and saw four covies the smallest had about 15 birds and the biggest may have had 30. The youngsters were pretty uniform in size for all covies and look to be a little less than half grown. They will still be immature come early season but it looks like there will be a lot of them.:cheers:

Can't wait for Sept 10th!:thumbsup:

Mt Quali

I seen a bunch of mt quail and grouse during the B zone archery opener. Was lining up a shot on a grouse with my bow when it spooked and took another 5-6 birds with it. Pretty cool to see. Also seen 2 decent groups of band tail pigeons.

I never have been able to find the grouse around here. I've had a lot of folks say they are around but I've never seen them.

Sounds like mt quail should be a good start to the season.:cheers:

Well we had a tough go saturday, didn't find a single covey and we hunted hard from sun up until noon and again from about four until sunset. A little thunderstorm rolled in in the evening and dropped just enough rain to help scenting conditions a bit and we found two covies this morning before heading home. The dogs are pretty wiped out right now.:cheers:

Well we had a tough go saturday, didn't find a single covey and we hunted hard from sun up until noon and again from about four until sunset. A little thunderstorm rolled in in the evening and dropped just enough rain to help scenting conditions a bit and we found two covies this morning before heading home. The dogs are pretty wiped out right now.:cheers:

Very nice photos and a great way to kick off the bird season. Hope you get into them as the moisture increases.

I went back up this morning. We moved three family groups, wouldn't really call them covies, and I put on a terrible shooting display and brought home two birds after shooting ten shots. Now the deer rifle army will take over the woods for a while.

Can it be mid October already? I can't wait to head back out to MT and SD. This will be the first general quail opener I've missed in eight years but it will be worth it.:cheers:

Back