Montana Shoulder Season

PTM

We're heading out West to participate in the states Shoulder season to reduce cow Elk. The elk have been badgered for four months, the snow is a couple feet deep, and we are going to places we've never been before. Maybe cabin fever is toppling our common sense, anyway here goes nothing I'll try and post up some pictures later, I am going to throw power ball odds at this one.

We got assigned a section of private land from the state but had a one day wait, we saw about 75 in our area and were excited to make a move. We hiked up a vertical section before first light to get to the flat where they were supposed to be but they never showed. It was a man maker and in our opinion better than ice fishing, we are going back in a couple weeks. We watched a guy take one on our wait day and bumped into some mulies that lived on top of hay bales. Here are some pics

walkup_zpsthmpnkx6.jpg

The climb up

elkflat_zpsmzu6ztjp.jpg

On top of the Mountain.

elklpop_zpsijvgjldw.jpg

Our tracks and elk tracks

ourtrail_zpsvfglpufr.jpg

Our trail in deep snow

down_zpsy4i4hpta.jpg

Going down

muledeer_zpsyxl26rz8.jpg

Hay bale Mule deer

Pat looks like white sulphur area !!! Good luck was in kalispell Monday nite and my friend there fixed elk steak!!!! Wow had a great French red wine with it wanted to stay another day so I could have seconds!

Where art thou cow?

Jim I very much felt like a flatlander that day wish I had my dogs with to help me up the hill, that part of the state is really cool, everyone very friendly, I saw a news story that they have taken about 350 cows, we are hoping to make it 352 or we'd even settle for 351:thumbsup: If nothing else it is making the winter pass a little quicker, do you have a general or 004B tag? If your interested I could give you a call.

Back