Magic Valley Public Hunting Opportunities

Based on some pretty good reports published by the Idaho F & G I am considering coming out this season and chasing Valley Quail and maybe Huns & Chukar.

Is there good public land availability west of Twin Falls and what would be the best resource to identify where any type (BLM, WMA, Access Yes! etc.) of accessible public land is located?

Is it the Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer or would the Topo maps available from the state be the best option.

Any information on the above would be greatly appreciated. Also is early December a good option timing wise?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry I can't help you out except to say go for it! The surveys look pretty good throughout the state. Stop in the first rangers station you find (BLM or USFS) for a decent map that will show you fed land.:cheers:

Sorry I can't help you out except to say go for it! The surveys look pretty good throughout the state. Stop in the first rangers station you find (BLM or USFS) for a decent map that will show you fed land.:cheers:

I think it is going to happen assuming my available days match up with some good traveling weather. Thanks for the encouragement and tip on the access.

I stopped out there summer before last looking at a breeder, of Griffons in the valley. He indicated there was still good hunting close but pheasants were alot more scarce than they used to be (go figure). We did not have any trouble finding quail along the river on public to run the dogs. A lot of the valley is trout farms and most of the fields were irrigated corn that were not the last time I was hunting that area. It's worth a try for the adventure if you've never hunted there before.

I stopped out there summer before last looking at a breeder, of Griffons in the valley. He indicated there was still good hunting close but pheasants were alot more scarce than they used to be (go figure). We did not have any trouble finding quail along the river on public to run the dogs. A lot of the valley is trout farms and most of the fields were irrigated corn that were not the last time I was hunting that area. It's worth a try for the adventure if you've never hunted there before.

Appreciate the feedback watermen. Were you able to find public land and the access points along the river using a Gazeteer? Mostly federal land? BLM, Forrest Service etc.

Thanks again

Sorry, can't answer your question more thoroughly. A Delorme is always good to have, but on this deal I was just riding and watching dogs. Most of my recent hunting in Idaho has been farther west. The pheasants in the area have a lot of powder blue coloration and are neat looking compared to the dark copper your used to in the midwest.

I've never seen so many rattlers as I did when we hunted around Weiser and Grassmere. I found out they didn't call it the Snake River because its meanders made it look like a snake. Keep your eyes open if it hasn't frozen yet. By the way, they taste just like quail.

Last edited:
I drove through there on my way to MT, very birdy looking area I thought.

I saw a few roosters between Pocatello and Idaho Falls while driving the highway and quite a few spots I believe had very good quail cover.

Back