Looking for a left hand Pheasant gun

Bob Peters

I currently own a camo benelli M2 28" left hander. When I first started trap shooting I borrowed my buddies SBE 1 in left 26" which I really liked a lot. Now I'm looking for another gun, a dedicated field gun, and also to have a backup gun for myself if I go on an out of town trip. I hunt a good bit of public spots where it is non-tox shot only. I was looking at break action guns for a long time but eventually went away from that option as they are all right handed off the shelf(brownings are not neutral even if they say that). I'm going to take a look at the benelli montefeltro since it is one of the only left handed guns I can find, and I'm already familiar with the brand. Anyone else who is left eye dominant and has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Right handed , left eye dominant, shot left handed, I have changed the safety in all my auto loaders for left handed shooting - very simple.

Maybe too old school for most shooters nowadays, but he Ithaca M 37 pump ejects out the bottom so right or left handed shooters, no problem. Don't know about cast off or cast on; light weight field gun. Pumps are a different breed though and take a little time to get used to. Can be bought very reasonably nowadays. probably not good to use with steel shot.

Right handed , left eye dominant, shot left handed, I have changed the safety in all my auto loaders for left handed shooting - very simple.

Yup, I'm in the same boat. I'm not as familiar with other brands. But wondering if most of the big name gun makers in auto loaders have shim kits similar to a benelli. I'm willing to switch a safety, and don't mind where the shell ejects, but I won't shoot a gun with cast and toe set for a right eye shooter. Everything you read, gun fit is very important.

I am also a lefty shooting a right handed auto,Im thinking of purchasing a Beretta A400 xplor anybody have any experience with one ?

I am also a lefty shooting a right handed auto,Im thinking of purchasing a Beretta A400 xplor anybody have any experience with one ?

I have this gun in left hand for waterfowl. It’s a great fit with the adjustable shims I set it to very close to my custom fit stock measurements that I had done for steam bending my OUs. Love the xplor for its toughness (I hutn a lot of salty mud flats) and reliability but I find it a “big” gun to handle for pheasant hunting.

Dave

I currently own a camo benelli M2 28" left hander. When I first started trap shooting I borrowed my buddies SBE 1 in left 26" which I really liked a lot. Now I'm looking for another gun, a dedicated field gun, and also to have a backup gun for myself if I go on an out of town trip. I hunt a good bit of public spots where it is non-tox shot only. I was looking at break action guns for a long time but eventually went away from that option as they are all right handed off the shelf(brownings are not neutral even if they say that). I'm going to take a look at the benelli montefeltro since it is one of the only left handed guns I can find, and I'm already familiar with the brand. Anyone else who is left eye dominant and has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

I considered a lefty montefeltro and loved the fit and feel. If you like it and if it fits you in the lefty setup then I expect thats a great choice for you, especially if you are used to the brand. Is the location of the safety the same as on your other gun? I find that important when pheasant hunting. Once in a while if I’m out duck hunting with my semi (trigger guard safety) and I go for a walk afterwards for pheasant (for which I normally use my OU with thumb safety) i can be very slow to shoot at a flushes rooster as my thumb fumbles around for the safety and then I remember it’s on the trigger guard. I hunt a LOT more pheasants that ducks though.
Anyhow, I think (and not just me!) fit is so important that it’s worth investing the time and money to get a shotgun that fits, whether you’re a southpaw or not. I had both my OUs steam bent for me to fit measurements that a skilled gunsmith took from me. It was a total game changer for me. I then adjusted my semi to have the same fit. So my guns point where I look, allowing me to focus on lead and follow-through. If I miss it’s because I failed at one of those two things, never that the gun shooting where i was intending.
Cheers,
Dave

i have a browning bps - bottom load and eject.

Browning silver hunter - right side eject but its gas and it throws the shells so fast I cant even see them. I also wear glasses 99% of the time so I don't worry about stuff in my eyes.

Recently I purchased a franchi SL 20ga O/U which is now my go too. Its neutral cast so it works for lefty or righty.

There are some costlier options for a left handed break-action gun. Benelli's 828U comes with a shim kit, IIRC. It might be the only break action gun that supports stock adjustments via shims. Also, Beretta O/Us can be ordered for left handers, or you can replace the original stock with a factory replacement left-handed stock. I think Brownings can also be ordered for lefties.

My son shoots lefty and he shoots an off-the-shelf 20 guage citori for pheasants and quail and an off-the-shelf 12 Franchi Diamond for waterfowl and high school trap team. Both have a very modest amount of cast for a right hander. He claims the cast doesn't bother him, but then he's never shot a gun with cast for a lefty.

There are some costlier options for a left handed break-action gun. Benelli's 828U comes with a shim kit, IIRC. It might be the only break action gun that supports stock adjustments via shims. Also, Beretta O/Us can be ordered for left handers, or you can replace the original stock with a factory replacement left-handed stock. I think Brownings can also be ordered for lefties.

My son shoots lefty and he shoots an off-the-shelf 20 guage citori for pheasants and quail and an off-the-shelf 12 Franchi Diamond for waterfowl and high school trap team. Both have a very modest amount of cast for a right hander. He claims the cast doesn't bother him, but then he's never shot a gun with cast for a lefty.

The Benelli 828U now comes in a left hand version.

Just found this forum after doing a search for left hand shotguns. I have a safe full of right hand semi's and a couple of break actions, but have always wanted a lefty in something other than 12 ga. After a total of 6 shoulder surgeries, 4 on my left and 2 on my right, I started looking in the 20 and 28 ga range. Beretta has the a400 Action in lefty but only in 12 ga. Benelli I think has the Montefeltro in 20 ga but only in black plastic and I think the M2 in lefty chambered maybe for 12 and 20, again only in plastic stock. The price tag of the O/U and SxS models keep me from looking that way.
If someone has found something in 20 or 28 dressed in something other than plastic, I would really like to know.

Maybe too old school for most shooters nowadays, but he Ithaca M 37 pump ejects out the bottom so right or left handed shooters, no problem. Don't know about cast off or cast on; light weight field gun. Pumps are a different breed though and take a little time to get used to. Can be bought very reasonably nowadays. probably not good to use with steel shot.

Ithaca claimed at the time steel shot was mandated, that their guns with roto-forged barrels were safe for use with steel. Probably should stick with improved cylinder or modified chokes though.

Ithaca claimed at the time steel shot was mandated, that their guns with roto-forged barrels were safe for use with steel. Probably should stick with improved cylinder or modified chokes though.

My son-in-law was a new shooter. He is strongly left-eye dominant and he learned to shoot off his left shoulder. I set him up with an Ithaca 37. I ordered a left-hand safety from Ithaca. It was not difficult to install. The gun has a modified choke. He regularly uses steel shot with no known issues.

Fellow lefty here. Not sorry to say it, darn near every modern shotgun looks disgusting. I mean it, one glance and you have to shade your eyes. All plascit (intentional spelling) or some such. Stainless Steel is the biggest stain I’ve ever seen. And there’s something about an O/U that screams greenhorn with too much money and claybird experience. All foreign made ta boot . That Ithaca ain’t a bad choice for a cornshucker. I wouldn’t be ashamed to pull her out.

Going today to try a Model 37 in 20 and 28 ga. Down here where I live, you still see a lot of Franchi 48 al in 20 and 28. The Ithaca 37 is also a old school favorite here. But, it is made here in the US. Prices are kind of high on the new ones made in Ohio. But I also have a hard time seeing $1400 for a a400 Action when I take it apart.
I think the little Model 37 just might solve the problem.

I'm left handed, for decades my go-to shotgun has been the Browning BPS 26". IMO the best left hand - friendly shotgun anyone has come up with yet. It's heavier than most autos (and it sounds like you only have eyes for an auto) but it is a bulletproof design every bit at home in the goose blind as it is walking roosters up out of the cattails. Off course I know the BPS extremely well and shorten the stocks on mine to fit my LOP, but I shoot it better than anything else I have in the safes. That tang safety is worth it's weight in gold...

Back