Lineage Crosses

mtnlab

Looking at a litter where the lineage crosses. The puppies have the same great grand father on the maternal side for both parents. Does this raise any red flags or is there a standard on how far removed the lineage should be?

lineage cross

If the parents and grandparents on both sides did not have any noticeable problems or known genetic defects I would consider a pup if they offered what I wanted in a gun dog.

It's not a problem unless there is a problem with the dog that shows up more than once. Linebreeding can be a very useful tool to increase consistency in a litter. I have a pup that is from a half brother/sister breeding and another that has Hillhavens Hustler show up 7 times in 5 generations. It doesn't mean you will have 2 headed puppies born, but it does increase the chance of both good and bad traits showing up. That is one reason health testing is important. If it's a lab pup, I would make sure both parents have had all the tests done. That would include hips, eyes, cnm, pra and eic.

Last edited:
Thanks JeremyS...The hips are good and excellent, clear on all the test for both sire and dame. I'll most likely move forward with this pairing.

Back