Lewistown, MT

If you can do the walking and eat the birds you will do fine with one dog if he is in shape and the weather is on your side. It can be tougher on the dogs if its hot and it can be hot in Sept.
mm
I can't imagine a better description of what to expect. It can be hot in Oct. too. It can storm and you may have to leave early to avoid staying days longer than you planned waiting out a storm.
Carry lots of water and if you think it's even a little warm, water your dogs enough that they have to pee. When the water's gone, stop hunting and all of you go lay in the shade and wait for the evening.

Lewistown

I don't get that far to the south hunting but I think Lewistown is a premiere destination for a variety of birds, I think using a guide would make sense in that area as it is locked down pretty tight. It is one of the most diversified areas for habitat and I can't think of a place that is as beautiful, I do get down there for work and see a lot of roosters, I'd mix it up go with the guide for a few days and then try some of the public and I think you'll have an awesome experience in MT. Heard this is a nice place to stay http://www.pheasanttales.biz/

Last edited:
The problem with the Lewistown area is, too many outfitters, too many guides .Who can afford to pay their exuberant prices?

Going to be in lewiston in October and am looking for a guide to hunt pheasants, shirttails and Huns. Haven't been there before and would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, as to who to contact, where to stay, etc.

Thanks for your assistance. George

Motels in Lewistown , are spendy. The old hotel, used to be 15 dollars a nite, but that has changed.The empire cafe burned down, but that place was great.The truck stop by Moore is great. Try the chicken fried steak.Eagles, I'd a good place to drink. Lots of farmers in there, but don't expect to be invited on, without some sort of hookup.I like the hunting north of Lewistown, west isn't bad. You need a hook up. I don't pay to hunt, but I know some ranchers...

Sharptails are my fave wild game! We marinate them in zesty Italian for an hour and grill them rare...better than beef! I cannot get enough! The hearts are great as well...dust them in shore lunch and fry them HOT...dip in horsey sauce...exquisite!!!

Sharptails are my fave wild game! We marinate them in zesty Italian for an hour and grill them rare...better than beef! I cannot get enough! The hearts are great as well...dust them in shore lunch and fry them HOT...dip in horsey sauce...exquisite!!!

I'm with you man not my favorite but I tried to explain to some guys way older then me on this forum how I eat the sharptail I shoot they both maid it sound like eating garbage lol & they basically just shoot them & give them away & any way u prepare them is just finding a way to eat them not really a good meal...

Tried to explain prairie chicken & sharptails have slightly different meat & taste depending on what they eat were not hearing it they will never eat them???

I feel that way about sage grouse they were the worst upland bird taste wise I've ever shot & tried to eat... Meat was damn near purple...

I do the sharptails BBQ style like a BBQ beef after done gotta marinaid that was called masking the flavor to the 1 guy???

Last edited:
Back