Let the season begin

My opener did not turn out as good as I would have liked. Went out in the zoo on Sunday. Bandit got birdy a couple of times but nothing to show. When we got home he started to favor his front paw. Found a small but deep puncture. Cleaned it and a trip to the vet was in order. Vet got me in right away Monday and was impressed with how thoroughly I cleaned it. Pain meds and antibiotics was the course of action. Tuesday morning woke up to blood everywhere. What ever was still in his paw came right through the top. Rushed to the vet for emergency surgery. When the vet opened the wound what ever was in there was gone. Now ten days of rest and the stitches come out. Figure it will be another week after before I even think about getting back in the field with him. Looks like I will pretty much miss the rest of woodcock season. Thankfully there is no permanent damage.

Opening weekend was great and saw plenty of birds Saturday and Sunday. Since then I hunted, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday morning and only had one long distance flush. Not hearing hardly any shooting from the other folks out either. Usually during the first week, people are cleaning house.
This has been the slowest start ever in Wisconsin since I moved here.

Finally saw some birds today and picked up a limit. My legs are really sore from this week. I've been averaging 23,000 steps a day this week.

Finally saw some birds today and picked up a limit. My legs are really sore from this week. I've been averaging 23,000 steps a day this week.

I don't know how many steps I'm doing but my dogs been covering between 9 and 14 miles according to his gps collar, I've picked up my birds but helping others and letting my dog work is racking on the miles on this little guy! But as long as he loves it I'll keep walking, god knows I can use it!

I don't know how many steps I'm doing but my dogs been covering between 9 and 14 miles according to his gps collar, I've picked up my birds but helping others and letting my dog work is racking on the miles on this little guy! But as long as he loves it I'll keep walking, god knows I can use it!

I haven't been paying attention to the dogs mileage but 23,000 steps is about 11.5 miles. I walk dogs during the mid-day and rack up anywhere from 10,000 to 13,000 steps a day without hunting. It's fun helping others, did it a few times last year. Just don't get behind on the honey do list or you'll get cut off.

My Dad's English Pointer finally found a pheasant today. Only took 12 days into the season. It flushed away from me but luckily my hunting partner dropped it for her. It was nice to get her off the doughnut.

Finally made it out to hunt some wild birds today and we only saw 1 and it was pointed by my Dad's English Pointer and I actual made the shot. What a wet day. Thank goodness I bagged that bird to make it worth it.

Tomorrow I will be heading out with my son for his 1st ever pheasant hunt. I'm pretty excited!

Finally made it out to hunt some wild birds today and we only saw 1 and it was pointed by my Dad's English Pointer and I actual made the shot. What a wet day. Thank goodness I bagged that bird to make it worth it.

Tomorrow I will be heading out with my son for his 1st ever pheasant hunt. I'm pretty excited!

Son's first hunt was fairly successful. We bagged 3 roosters and I missed 1 to complete the limit. The second bird we harvested my son ran the whole situation; the dog pointed he walked up, flushed and nailed it. He was very excited to say the least. We kept the empty shell casing as a souvenir. What a great day.

Sounds like a perfect hunt! Congrats! I've only been able to put up a few hens and some woodcock. Gonna check a few different spots next weekend.

Sounds like a perfect hunt! Congrats! I've only been able to put up a few hens and some woodcock. Gonna check a few different spots next weekend.

I'm sure all know this but you'll need to pass on any woodcock moving forward from today. I've only lived here 5 years but this is by far the best woodcock season I've seen in Southern Wisconsin.

Shorthairs4life, I agree. I haven't seen this many woodcock while pheasant hunting. I think we usually have enough hard freezes that most are pushed south by the time pheasant hunting opens. I've only made the mistake of shooting a woodcock at ten yards with a pheasant load once. Not too much left to salvage. I use them as entertainment for the dog and just let them fly. Keeps her interest up when the pheasant hunting is slow.

Shorthairs4life, I agree. I haven't seen this many woodcock while pheasant hunting. I think we usually have enough hard freezes that most are pushed south by the time pheasant hunting opens. I've only made the mistake of shooting a woodcock at ten yards with a pheasant load once. Not too much left to salvage. I use them as entertainment for the dog and just let them fly. Keeps her interest up when the pheasant hunting is slow.

I used the same strategy this season. My usual hot spot has been dead as a door nail this year. Only shot 3 birds there this year, but I can usually flush about 5 woodcock each outing to keep the dog pumped up.

Back