Lenore, ID? Any birds to hunt in the vicinity?

KsHusker

I'm not asking for honey holes - I've only hunted in KS my entire life except for one instance just over the OK border - literally on the state line, same in Nebraska and I walked in CO for about 5 mins on the state line.

I was speaking to an old neighbor of mine I've stayed in touch with - he lives in Lenore ID now and has a guest house - he has a small acreage I believe and states he has around 50-60 quail that eat his chicken feed all the time, his yard is visited by turkeys, deer etc - he states the area is fairly agricultural? (I dunno - just what he said) and I guess there are lots of orchards around?

Well the offer was he knows I love to hunt and I'd be welcome to stay at his guest house anytime to use as a base for any hunting I'd do. I think I'll have to take him up on it.

My first love is upland hunting - be it quail, pheasants or prairie chickens.

I know Idaho has chukar and I've seen plenty of them when I was able to hike Antelope island in Utah - Salt Lake - one time. I think quail in Idaho would interest me the most though. Your season appears to start a lot sooner than ours (In sept I believe? - but ends at the end of Jan just like our upland season. So maybe end of Sept or beg of Oct would be a good time for me to plan a trip)

My 2nd love is mule deer hunting -

I guess a couple questions - any ideas on how plentiful the game species are around there and would I be able to find a place to hunt them?

If anyone lives around there I'd be more than happy to try and get you on birds in KS if you wanted to have some sort of swap so to speak.

:thumbsup:

most of the state is public land including thru Leadore and more specifically slightly north along the Snake river. That areas is prime chukar, quail, mule deer, and elk habitat.

Another better option is most of the southern area of Idaho and Oregon south of I-84 to the Nevada border particularly for chukar and 80-90 percent is public land.

This is big land and help can be a long ways off so you need to be in shape and take everything you need with you. There are few areas with accomodations out there, but usually plenty of birds including local areas of quail.

Just don't try after the snow sticks as this pushes the birds down low near the roads which is not ethical shooting in any way. Oregon tries to close the seasons early when this happens, Idaho not often enough, allowing slob "hunters" to destroy coveys.

Remember chukar live on steep slopes and cliffs, so make sure you are physically capable of hunting this terrain. Feel free to contact me if you wish. Good luck.

most of the state is public land including thru Leadore and more specifically slightly north along the Snake river. That areas is prime chukar, quail, mule deer, and elk habitat.

Remember chukar live on steep slopes and cliffs, so make sure you are physically capable of hunting this terrain. Feel free to contact me if you wish. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback! :10sign:

I'm working on getting in better shape, I hunt all day usually here in KS but know I'd need to be in better condition than I'm in for Idaho or some other western states for sure. One thing I wouldnt be used to is not having cell service - In KS even if there is not another house for miles you can usually get a bar or two of service on the top of a hill.

I judge driving time by hours here - so say I stay in Lenore - would there be places I could get into quail on public land say within an hour or at the max 2 hours? Or Mule Deer for that matter if say I went end of Sept or during October? (I've no idea if it snows there then and if the snowfall accumulates at that time?)

Lenore and Leadore are two different towns in very different parts of the state. I am not very familiar with Lenore but a friend who lives nearby says there is not much public land close to Lenore, but there would be areas with forest grouse and some areas for chukar South and West along the breaks of the Snake River.

You got me there. I have never heard of Lenore, and have spent quite a bit of time in that area. Had to google it after you corrected me. That area west toward Lewiston and then south along the Snake river certainly has chukar, quail and pheasant but other than Craig Mountain Wildlife area I am not aware of what public land is available in that area. Sorry for misleading you.

You got me there. I have never heard of Lenore, and have spent quite a bit of time in that area. Had to google it after you corrected me. That area west toward Lewiston and then south along the Snake river certainly has chukar, quail and pheasant but other than Craig Mountain Wildlife area I am not aware of what public land is available in that area. Sorry for misleading you.

No worries - appreciate the feedback. I'll have to diver deeper into this. If I dont do this the upcoming season would love to plan the trip for 2018 at the latest.

Another better option is most of the southern area of Idaho and Oregon south of I-84 to the Nevada border particularly for chukar and 80-90 percent is public land.

This is big land and help can be a long ways off so you need to be in shape and take everything you need with you. There are few areas with accomodations out there, but usually plenty of birds including local areas of quail.

Just don't try after the snow sticks as this pushes the birds down low near the roads which is not ethical shooting in any way. Oregon tries to close the seasons early when this happens, Idaho not often enough, allowing slob "hunters" to destroy coveys.

Yeah- be in shape, that chucker hunting will dork you to the bone.

Probably too late but only Grouse and quail around Lenore. Turkey are considered nuisance by most farmers and will gladly let you take them out. You are within reasonable distance to chukar/Huns. South out of the Clearwater river area is mostly farm land. Some pheasants but mostly quail and huns.

I believe that is Nez Perce Tribal lands.

Back