Last Week Trip

Wise12375

I am thinking about coming over to SD sometime in the 1/24-1/29 range. I'll be coming from Shakopee, MN. I have looked at the current snow depths, read all the posts and checked the upcoming weather. It looks like there isn't any snow coming, although that could change in 10 days. If you look in the Mitchell, Huron, Redfield, Miller general area, it appears there are 3-8 inches of snow on the ground. Can anyone shed some light on just how drifted, crusted, crunchy, shitty horrible the current snow is?

Also, I would very much enjoy any advice on areas that would not be worth my time because the cover has been hayed or is generally not productive.

I'm a hearty hunter and don't mind working hard for birds and only hunt public. I'm 48 and have hunted in all conditions.

Is anyone interested in joining up? I hunt alone about 90% of the time. I have an excellent 5 year old male lab out of Holzinger Kennels. Best of luck to all as the season winds down. I love the late season and love hunting in the snow. It was a real bummer that we had ZERO snow in MN to hunt in this fall.

Check 511sd it has cameras round the state the you can see weather conditions and or snow depth.

Check 511sd it has cameras round the state the you can see weather conditions and or snow depth.
Having been there recently, the 511 cameras can give a slightly false scenario, as cover can accumulate some snow, but overall, the Mitchell-Huron areas aren’t bad…not much snow fell in the past few days in my areas….warm up coming! 👍👍

I am thinking about coming over to SD sometime in the 1/24-1/29 range. I'll be coming from Shakopee, MN. I have looked at the current snow depths, read all the posts and checked the upcoming weather. It looks like there isn't any snow coming, although that could change in 10 days. If you look in the Mitchell, Huron, Redfield, Miller general area, it appears there are 3-8 inches of snow on the ground. Can anyone shed some light on just how drifted, crusted, crunchy, shitty horrible the current snow is?

Also, I would very much enjoy any advice on areas that would not be worth my time because the cover has been hayed or is generally not productive.

I'm a hearty hunter and don't mind working hard for birds and only hunt public. I'm 48 and have hunted in all conditions.

Is anyone interested in joining up? I hunt alone about 90% of the time. I have an excellent 5 year old male lab out of Holzinger Kennels. Best of luck to all as the season winds down. I love the late season and love hunting in the snow. It was a real bummer that we had ZERO snow in MN to hunt in this fall.
From Mitchell north, there is a lot of snow.It is crunchy and you break through. Hard on dog,and human. Public land has very educated birds. They are not in the cattails all the time.

Having been there recently, the 511 cameras can give a slightly false scenario, as cover can accumulate some snow, but overall, the Mitchell-Huron areas aren’t bad…not much snow fell in the past few days in my areas….warm up coming! 👍👍
Good point BB.

BB, thanks for your response of value. I was looking for someone that had been out in the country, not a website with a camera.

It's always a good idea to stay updated on local weather forecasts as they can change rapidly. Connecting with local hunters or forums dedicated to South Dakota hunting might be a great way to get real-time insights.As for hunting spots, it's essential to research areas with productive cover and game availability. Local hunters or hunting forums can also provide valuable recommendations based on recent sightings and experiences.If you're considering accommodations for your trip, you can explore pet-friendly options in the https://tripsavannah.com/savannah-pet-friendly-accommodations to ensure your loyal lab is comfortable during your stay.Wishing you a successful and memorable late-season hunt!

Back