last trip over, season over...

benelli-banger

just returned...did something I have never done before...solo hunt! got a bit of hunting in Wednesday, which was my travel day...Thursday was really nice...high 30's, no wind...birds held really well in the cattails...Friday, near white out conditions parts of the day...wind blew 25 mph sustained, gusts over 40....birds were spooky, but I finished day 3 with 8 birds...had a few misses, no lay ups though. Was invited to join a large group Saturday, which I hunted with on the last weekend of the season 3 years ago...excellent spots for the late season, national geographic stuff! had a group in the low 20's as far as size goes, we limited in about 3 hours...hunted about 3 spots all within about a mile of each other...sloughs mostly, one big tree belt, too...probably saw 600-800 birds, I suppose...the great news is there are lots of birds! Still some standing corn, thankfully not a lot. Best thing--met some super guys! knew a few, but met some terrific guys, all very considerate and enjoyable to meet and bs with after the hunt while cleaning birds, drinking a few beers, etc...great way to end the season!

Back