Last Puppy???

bucketmouth2

It has been awhile since my last post (Bucketmouth). I retired from a career that spanned 31 years with the same employer! I am finding that retirement was greatly over stated for an active individual such as myself. At any rate, I have a question to run by my fellow bird hunters.

I am receiving a GSP pup (Harley) in three weeks. He will be the third dog in my kennel. I will have a 9 yr old, a 5 yr old and the pup (Harley). My thinking is by the time Harley is up and running, the 9 year old will need to slow down.
My real concern is given my current age of 57, by the time Harley needs to slow dow- will I have the desire and/or ability to take on another pup?? Or is this possibly my last pup. Anyone have any insight?

Bucketmouth
There are no dress rehersals in life.

I'll be 67 in a few months and have a 4 year old Brittany. I've asked myself that question many times. Will this dog me my last? I hope not. But there are no guarantees in life. I've decided not to worry about it and just continue on as if I was 40 again. If another dog is in my future then so be it. If not, well I'm okay with that too.

I try to maintain a good level of fitness and hope I'm still walking the fields behind a dog many years from now.

Last edited:
Just turned 75 last month and enjoy a 28- month Golden. Looking forward to several more years of hunting and the fellowship. I may become a "poster" and that's o.k..

My dad is 75 and is the "official" blocker on all our hunts. He stands guard with my old GSP Ike who is 15. Nothing gets by them. Dad asked me one day..."when Ike goes, you will have to give me Taz and get you another pup"...hmmm, not a bad idea!

I just sold a pup to an 81 year old gentleman who loves dogs. He has one of mine from 3 years ago as well. When he picked this one up he said this is my 3rd "last dog!" He trains them to hunt at his pace! I hope I am still out doing it at 81!

Incredible!!

After viewing the responses to my initial query- I have my answer. It is very refreshing to get such a positive response.

Thank you!!

Very good responses!
I'm 62, just brought home a pup. Woody is his name and
he's a Brittany.:thumbsup:

I will be 65 this summer, have 5 adults 13-2 years old and just bought another pup. Actually I hope to farm this male pupout and maintain stud dog rights. He has to pass NAVHDA UTILITY TEST before he can stud tho.
I must be crazy. Also have nine three week old pups and a bad week of weather just when I want them to smell a little outdoors.

I'll be 67 in a few months and have a 4 year old Brittany. I've asked myself that question many times. Will this dog me my last? I hope not. But there are no guarantees in life. I've decided not to worry about it and just continue on as if I was 40 again. If another dog is in my future then so be it. If not, well I'm okay with that too.

I try to maintain a good level of fitness and hope I'm still walking the fields behind a dog many years from now.

That is a great additude to have!

I just sold a pup to an 81 year old gentleman who loves dogs. He has one of mine from 3 years ago as well. When he picked this one up he said this is my 3rd "last dog!" He trains them to hunt at his pace! I hope I am still out doing it at 81!

That is awesome. These stories give me hope that old age is more than complaining about health problems and sitting in front of the TV. Retirement is at least 10 years off for me.

Uncle Buck---

I am inspired by your devotion and forever young attitude. You are a true bird hunter!! Carry on my friend.

Bucketmouth
Bead on a Bird

Back