Last hunt of the year today.

jmac

Well we went out today, took a writer from Quail forever and arizona colorado, and wyoming rep. We also where join with the small game biologist and his boss, from the AZgfd. We pushed 15 coveys of gambles quail, most covey had 20 to 30 birds in them. We did hit one super covey of 50 to 75 Birds. However they had been educated a few time during the season and flushed just out of range. We did manage a few birds but it was very tough. It was great to see so many birds in one area, but they were smarter than us today. LOL

I think we saw more coveys because we had dogs, Britts. But I think the dogs where part of the problem with them flushing out of range. They will not hold for a point for anything. They run and by the time you get in front of the dogs, they are 60 yards ahead of you. Flush and are headed to the next county.

So I got some great walking in today and saw a lot of quail at a distance. LOL:cheers:

Lots of fun seeing birds and just knowing that their in good numbers.
For this time of the year it must be encouraging to see good size coveys.
When is nesting and brood raising?
Do AZ quail re nest if a nest is interrupted?

I'm going to need to do some study. :)

Wayne,

They will pair up starting in late April and May. The Gambles any way, it depends on the weather. The mearns and scalies brood later in the summer and all will renest if conditions are favorable. Thats why we are trying to get the season shortened By one month during bad years to let the chicks grow up a bit.:thumbsup:

15 coveys? That's awesome Scott. Late season quail are a blast aren't they? All the tricks they've learned all year challenge even the best laid plans.:cheers:

Your quail sounds to me? something like Gray Partridge.
Sept Huns are kinda easy?
Oct Huns are some what tough to get close to.
Nov Huns are dang near impossible!:eek:

I forgot to add. :)

Dec Huns prefer to keep a county between themselves and hunters. :eek:

jmac, do you have Huns at your place in WY?

All my travels and WY hunts I don't recall Huns?
Some dang good populations of Sharptail. :thumbsup:

Wayne,

Yes there are huns around casper and I have never seen them but I have been told they are there.:)

Sure seems like with all that type country, a good mix of the country Huns like. Once they get started should do real well.

Yes I know him. I'm pretty involved in the Pikes Peak chapter of PF so I see him every now and then when he comes down to the springs.

Good for you for getting involved. I'm the VP of Valley of the sun chapter of Quail Forever. :thumbsup:

Back