Lab vs Deer... dog backed down

lefty

Just wish I had it on video.

Was walking my non-hunting lab at dusk last night.
Dog sees movement in the woods and takes off. I see some deer run off but one charges the dog with front hooves up, (classic deer fighting pose.)

Dog retreats, then charges. then retreats. This goes on for a minute or so and then the dog finally scampers back to me. She wanted no more of that deer. This is a very tough dog... will fight snakes, snapping turtles, dogs twice her size etc...

I'm assuming the deer was protecting a fawn, although as much time as I've spent in the woods I've never seen such aggressive behavior from a deer.

Anyone ever see this?

Just wish I had it on video.

Was walking my non-hunting lab at dusk last night.
Dog sees movement in the woods and takes off. I see some deer run off but one charges the dog with front hooves up, (classic deer fighting pose.)

Dog retreats, then charges. then retreats. This goes on for a minute or so and then the dog finally scampers back to me. She wanted no more of that deer. This is a very tough dog... will fight snakes, snapping turtles, dogs twice her size etc...

I'm assuming the deer was protecting a fawn, although as much time as I've spent in the woods I've never seen such aggressive behavior from a deer.

Anyone ever see this?

maybe the dog took a hoof to the head or something.
I see it as a good thing-maybe the dog's been broken of chasing deer. I never want mine chasing anything other tham birds
why is the dog fighting so many things?

Yep, saw it for the first time early this spring. neighbors little barker runs out back, coming yapping back in with a Doe on its heals up to the back door. Serves that little dog right. The same Doe will let my lab get within ten feet of her and her fawn, she doesn't bother him, as all he does is graze like the rest of the deer. Same with my youngest daughter, see will walk back to the fence and talk to the deer as they eat vegetable cuttings and water from the tank. She will talk to them in some kind of kid yedish for a couple of minutes then comes back into the house, always with my very watchful eye.

Back