KU vs K-State

SetterNut

Who would have thought that the Jayhawks would have lost 3 in a row going into tonights game?

Would sure like to see the Cats win, but winning there is pretty tough.
We will see in a few hours.

Rock chalk!!! :)

I never would have guessed we would be one game up in conf. play going into this game. The guys that hated the Bruce Weber hire, (me) have to be second guessing themselves now.

It would be nice for kstate to have an in state rivalry in football also. Since we are the only D1 college that has a football team worth mentioning in the state, that aint gonna happen. Kstate can still win the b12 in bball. The next two games are at home against baylor and texas. Ku has to play osu and iowas state on the road yet. We are still tied for first in the b12 as it stand now.

I never would have guessed we would be one game up in conf. play going into this game. The guys that hated the Bruce Weber hire, (me) have to be second guessing themselves now.

We had a nice discussion on here last year when KState hired Weber. Some were basketball illiterate enough to think he was a poor hire. I was be littled for pointing out my support of coach Webers style and philosophy. He is a class individual and someone any university would be proud of to hire as a coach. I have attended a couple of his coaches clinics and he is a trememdous coach, takes care of his players, and is a players coach. The best hire Kstate has had since coach Hartman. Frank was just not able to rally players through intimidation and Huggins is a criminal. I am sure Weber will have success as the big 12 is weak on coaches and a weak conference in general. He was the best candidate that Kstate could have hired. They just are not an attractive university for most coaches and will always be a tough place to recruit the best players in the nation. But you don't need the best, just the right ones in the right system. Just look at Butler and Gonzaga.

It would be nice for kstate to have an in state rivalry in football also. Since we are the only D1 college that has a football team worth mentioning in the state, that aint gonna happen. Kstate can still win the b12 in bball. The next two games are at home against baylor and texas. Ku has to play osu and iowas state on the road yet. We are still tied for first in the b12 as it stand now.

I could care less about a sport that has no format to determine a champion. Kstate has had success in the big 12 in football and that is where it ends. No impact on the national level. KU basketball, however, is measured in national championships. I could also care less who wins the big 12 in basketball. March is really all that matters.

Besides, any coach will tell you the best college football program in Kansas is Pittsburg State University. They play in a division that actually determines a national champion. I know there was a period there thru the 90's and into the 2000's where PSU had the highest winning % of any college in the nation at any level.

We had a nice discussion on here last year when KState hired Weber. Some were basketball illiterate enough to think he was a poor hire. I was be littled for pointing out my support of coach Webers style and philosophy. He is a class individual and someone any university would be proud of to hire as a coach. I have attended a couple of his coaches clinics and he is a trememdous coach, takes care of his players, and is a players coach. The best hire Kstate has had since coach Hartman. Frank was just not able to rally players through intimidation and Huggins is a criminal. I am sure Weber will have success as the big 12 is weak on coaches and a weak conference in general. He was the best candidate that Kstate could have hired. They just are not an attractive university for most coaches and will always be a tough place to recruit the best players in the nation. But you don't need the best, just the right ones in the right system. Just look at Butler and Gonzaga.

You are right, and Illinois hasn't been as good since the fired Weber. I never was one of the fans jumping up and down and screaming, I just thought Brad Underwood deserved a chance, or Tim Jankovich would be good. We have to wait and see how Weber does with his own recruits. Despite tonight, these players definitely looked better coached than last year. As far as not needing the best players in the nation, all you have to do is look what Snyder has done.

Last edited:
I don't have a dog in this fight since I didn't attend either school (KU or KSU) so I just root for KU duing B ball season and KSU during F ball season. lol

Wichita is playing some good ball this year!

Pitt state has an outstanding football program and Washburn isn't bad either. Historically I guess Washburns program hasn't been great but as of late it's not too bad.

Hats off to KU. They pretty much dominated the Cats all game long. I was sure hopeful that KSU would have been more competitive tonight, but it just wasn't meant to be... Lots of season left though. This is no time to get hung up on rankings or conference standings. Just need to go out and play ball! GO STATE!

I appreciate that almost everybody on this site was able to show class and support their own team without bashing other people's programs. Makes this a friendly forum for all!:D

I appreciate that almost everybody on this site was able to show class and support their own team without bashing other people's programs. Makes this a friendly forum for all!:D

Me too. Those liberal hippie panhandling tree huggers played good ball last night.

I want to see what KSU will be like in a couple years when Weber get's his own players to have in his own system, instead of trying to use Martin's players in his system.

Too much KU inside... Whithey (or however you spell it) completely changes that game. Even if he doesn't block shots, K-State was clearly affected by him.

I want to see what KSU will be like in a couple years when Weber get's his own players to have in his own system, instead of trying to use Martin's players in his system.

Too much KU inside... Whithey (or however you spell it) completely changes that game. Even if he doesn't block shots, K-State was clearly affected by him.

Also looking forward to see what Weiss can do with his own football players at KU.

You are right, and Illinois hasn't been as good since the fired Weber. I never was one of the fans jumping up and down and screaming, I just thought Brad Underwood deserved a chance, or Tim Jankovich would be good. We have to wait and see how Weber does with his own recruits. Despite tonight, these players definitely looked better coached than last year. As far as not needing the best players in the nation, all you have to do is look what Snyder has done.

I don't know that they looked better coached, just a better team. Frank just did not know when to back off. Coach Self is in a league of his own right now. He and Brad Stevens are the 2 best coaches in the nation. Izzo and coach K will always be there. But Self has done a terrific job. I really thought this would be a year that KU struggled but he has found a way. Other than 3 in a row, they have over achieved. They are not a tough team yet but hopefully the 3 game skid will help them over come adversity in March.

KState allowed him to change the game. In the 3 losses, those teams took Withey away from the basket with ball screens. He was never under the basket to give help. Kstate just let him camp in the lane and block shots. When he is blocking shots, then it allows KU to score in transition. Kstate continued to run their motion offense which KU defended well. To beat KU, you have to run ball screens at the top and get Withey to switch. It takes away his shot blocking, takes away rebounding, and takes away transition baskets.

KState allowed him to change the game. In the 3 losses, those teams took Withey away from the basket with ball screens. He was never under the basket to give help. Kstate just let him camp in the lane and block shots. When he is blocking shots, then it allows KU to score in transition. Kstate continued to run their motion offense which KU defended well. To beat KU, you have to run ball screens at the top and get Withey to switch. It takes away his shot blocking, takes away rebounding, and takes away transition baskets.

Completely agree. At one point, it seemed like they were scared of him and just did not even try to do anything with him. Avoidence seemed to be the mantra of the day.

Another thing that I would have liked to see them do to negate some of his effectiveness was to get out and run more.

After this weekend, it's Michigan St that impressed the heck out of me. This is a great time of year; watching games that lead up to March Madness. Their is no better event in sports.

Back