Kent Bismuth & Pheasants?

I think a lot has to do with the pheasants. Are they flushing early and you are having to make longer shots
or are they holding tighter with close shots. I started using Hevishot Duck 4's on the late season birds
that I have to shoot at extended ranges.

2018 Anecdotal Report

First time trying the Kent Bismuth today. Was shooting a 12 gauge Rizzini O/U, choked IC and Modified. Hunting pheasant on SD public land. Flushed 3 roosters, first one was about 15 yards, the other 2 my dog flushed at about 20-25 yards. All 3 birds dropped on the first shot at each. Autopsy results showed broken wings and legs, as well as shot going through the breast into the vitals. One was going away, the other 2 were quartering away shots.

The shot had no problem going through feathers and bones. I was using the bismuth #5 shot, going 1350 fps according to the box.

My usual go to load is the B&P Long Range 1 1/4oz #5. The Kent shells didn't recoil as bad as the B&P shells. However the shot dragged in feathers worse than the plated lead shot of the B&P shells. These were lightly feathered, young of the year roosters but they were still pretty sturdy with heavy bones and full plumage.

Obviously this is very unscientific but this is the first time I ever used anything for upland other than lead. I was very happy with the performance of the Kent bismuth and plan on using it for the rest of the season. Hope this helps!

First time trying the Kent Bismuth today. Was shooting a 12 gauge Rizzini O/U, choked IC and Modified. Hunting pheasant on SD public land. Flushed 3 roosters, first one was about 15 yards, the other 2 my dog flushed at about 20-25 yards. All 3 birds dropped on the first shot at each. Autopsy results showed broken wings and legs, as well as shot going through the breast into the vitals. One was going away, the other 2 were quartering away shots.

The shot had no problem going through feathers and bones. I was using the bismuth #5 shot, going 1350 fps according to the box.

My usual go to load is the B&P Long Range 1 1/4oz #5. The Kent shells didn't recoil as bad as the B&P shells. However the shot dragged in feathers worse than the plated lead shot of the B&P shells. These were lightly feathered, young of the year roosters but they were still pretty sturdy with heavy bones and full plumage.

Obviously this is very unscientific but this is the first time I ever used anything for upland other than lead. I was very happy with the performance of the Kent bismuth and plan on using it for the rest of the season. Hope this helps!

So tell me how you were hunting in SD on public land when the season doesn’t start until the third week in October. Oh and an o/u fires two not three so your three roosters were taken with something else.

David0311

So tell me how you were hunting in SD on public land when the season doesn’t start until the third week in October. Oh and an o/u fires two not three so your three roosters were taken with something else.

Maybe instead of the sarcasm—you should look at the laws and realize that he is no doubt referring to the RESIDENT HUNTING OPENER-
As to your snide remark on the three birds and you knowledge of over and unders -
He never stated it was a triple-just that he took 3 birds during his hunt—
Also you should be aware that over and unders can be reloaded:rolleyes: —thus 3 shots during the hunt-

Maybe a apology is in order

Here's a head-scratcher for you, George. I shot these roosters legally today in about 90 minutes, in South Dakota, on "public" land.
1 w/ Kent bismuth 5's. 2 w/ Fiocchi lead 5's. How in the WORLD could I have accomplished such a thing??
(hint: an un-plugged 16 ga. autoloader was involved but has nothing to do w/ the answer)
View attachment 8553

Last edited:
My apologies was really thrown off and didn’t realize that there was a resident opener. I’m from Illinois so there’s just one set start to the season. In the future I won’t post at 12 in the morning after having some cocktails.

I got some bismuth the other day finally, can't wait to try it out on the opener this weekend. I didn't buy the Kent however I found a new shell company called Boss shot shells 20 round boxes for $26. Hopefully they do ok.

I am late to this thread , have actually forgot about the forum because I normally hang elsewhere .
I have used Bismuth for ten years or so , but not on pheasants - I use it on Canada Geese and ducks!
I kill them cleanly with 4’s and 2’s out of the muzzle loader and mybcartridge gubs with brass cases and black powder .
If I can flatten Canada’s with it using black, I doubt anyone can fault factory smokeless ammo on pheasants!
I love the stuff , I have been able to get my BP guns used once again n waterfowl because of it .
The day may come in Canada where we need to use it for upland as well , but for now we don’t.

11 dollar a box 1 1/4 oz. Loads , lead will out perform any of that expensive stuff.Remington steel loads, sportsman, in bb, or 2, 3 inch. That's what I use, and I slay all those dudes shooting bismuth, and that other spendy stuff, that's junk.

That is neat to hear that your shooting it with a black powder gun, you do not hear that every day. You have a double barrel black powder shotgun?

I have several black powder cartridge guns. My main gun is an 1878 Westley Richards hammer double 12 bore,and four muzzle loading shotguns , one original Chance and Sons (that is actually my son’s) , a Pedersoli 12 bore double, a Pedersoli 20 double , and a Berreta O/U 12 bore muzzle loader.
The Berreta is a replica of an 1850’s Berreta .
I have been hunting and competing with BP since 1978 and love shooting the old style guns!
I use them all but the Westley Richards and the Berretta re my most used . ��
I am on my phone so don’t know if I can post a pic right away but will when I get home .These birds were shot ussing blaack powder but with nickle plated shoot not Bismuth
The ones in the next post were shot with BP and Bismuth, however.
View attachment 8605
View attachment 8606

Last edited:
This is what gets shot when I use Bismuth and black powder!
DT
DT, that's freaking awesome! I went through a phase about 20 years ago of black powder muzzle loader shooting/hunting. My fowling piece/blunderbuss isn't in the same league as yours (12 bore T/C New Englander). It was really fun, but frustrating at the same time. Just plain had a hard time killing stuff outside 25-30 yards. Try as I may, regardless of what I shoved down the smoke pole or how I crammed it in there, I had an absolute devil of a time getting more than 1,000 fps out of my loads per my chronograph. Ever chrono your loads??

Last edited:
Chronograph??!! Heavens NO!��
The loads are going fast enough to kill birds cleanly and that is all I need to know!��
I have been shooting BP rifles and shotguns since 1977 or so and have seen guys danged near throw their guns away in disgust because they could not get the velocity expected .
The same goes with black powder rifles.
Yet , traditional rifles and shotguns have been killing critters like big Canada geese and moose since they were invented!��

Black powder can only be pushed so fast , so shorter distances are mandatory .
I don’t Pass shoot using these guns , I keep my shots closer than with my modern guns
So have have to pick my shots with a bit more prudence .
However , over a good pointer or flushing dog that is normally not a big chore .
I love the guns, and like shooting them , not because I think they are better , they can be a real pain to use for sure!��

I still do the majority of my pheasant hunting with a cartridge gun although it is the Westley Richards , not the muzzle loader .
I have killed birds at 25 yards or so with it but that is pretty short compared to what I can do with my modern 20 gauge!
If I had to guesstimate I would say POSSIBLY 1,100FPS , but like I said earlier , I can kill birds consistently with them so i’m Okay with that
Soory for the long post but I figured I needed to explain the situation a bit better .��
DT

Last edited:
Back