Kennel cover question

Springer22

Hey guys, so I have an insulated mud river cover that I got a good deal on last year. I have it on but the kennel always rides In the cab anyways.

Have an opportunity to head to SD next week for a bit but the dog will have to ride in the bed. Maybe a dumb question but do I just zip it up tight? Do I have to worry about airflow or anything? Figured I would throw a heavy blanket in there and hope that would keep her toasty. She does have an outdoor kennel that leads to an insulated dog house in the garage so she does have some experience keeping herself warm.

Im aware of the danger possibilities with a blanket but I’ve always used blankets with her bedding, has worked fine for us. Thanks!

Last edited:
I’ve not looked at temps next week but unless brutal low(below zero) I would t be too worried. Zip it close and will be good. Check after an hour and make sure not too warm and inside isn't sweating.

I don't think you are ever supposed to zip them fully closed. You need to leave a window open or space at the bottom of the door for air.

I dont know where you are coming from, but here in Iowa its going to be upper 40s low 50s again next week. I haven't even put my kennel cover on this year and definitely wouldn't in those temps. Just toss a bag of bedding in there and leave the cover off.

Hey guys, so I have an insulated mud river cover that I got a good deal on last year. I have it on but the kennel always rides In the cab anyways.

Have an opportunity to head to SD next week for a bit but the dog will have to ride in the bed. Maybe a dumb question but do I just zip it up tight? Do I have to worry about airflow or anything? Figured I would throw a heavy blanket in there and hope that would keep her toasty. She does have an outdoor kennel that leads to an insulated dog house in the garage so she does have some experience keeping herself warm.

Im aware of the danger possibilities with a blanket but I’ve always used blankets with her bedding, has worked fine for us. Thanks!
I've had my lab in her mud river kennel for 8 years. She lays with her nose near the door so I always Just leave maybe 6'' unzipped down at the bottom when it's 30's or colder. Not unusual for her to spend 12-14 hours in it while driving out to SD. She's an inside dog at home so I'm not comfortable leaving a window open all night with freezing temps over night. I'm sure she'd be fine but I want her healthy and feeling good when it's time to hunt. This is in a pickup with no shell....open air. When shes in a covered pickup I always remove and leave one window open no matter the temp. Shes spent nights in single digits and that kennel was warm the next morning. Hope this helps.

My buddy in Ohio has shorthairs. If it is gonna be cold we zip the covers on the crates up tight. One is a mud river & the other is more insulated. Inside the cap(cover). On my fiberglass 8 dog trailer, I have an Amish made custom canvas that we snap & zip tight if it is going to be cold. No issues with the dogs not getting enough air. Straw is a better insulator than blankets for bedding. Oat straw breaks down less & slower than wheat straw. Western native grass hay is tougher yet, but does not have the r value of straw. Baled fescue is tougher yet, but I would not transport it from the east to the west because it creates a sterile environment.

Travel crate guy here too. Safer for the dog and safer for me. I don't need to be distracted by a dog in the back seat while I'm driving. Its where's she's always rode in a vehicle and she willingly goes in there every time I ask or open the door.

Not to mention the amount of mud, dirt, and debris that would be in my vehicle. The last couple weeks have been an absolute mudhole here in the field. No chance that's going on my seats.

My two dogs in front of their crates. I have a Lucky Duck and a Ruffland.

Attachments

• 20231216_123857.jpeg
    20231216_123857.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
Thumbs down on kennels. You don't put your best friend in a cage.
Putting your dog in a good kennel like a Ruff Land or equivalent is a safety factor for both the dog and yourself. A loose dog in a vehicle when in a collision can become a flying torpedo injuring or killing both the dog and people inside. Wherever I travel my dog is in her kennel. Even the 1,600+ miles each way to Arizona for the winter. She just lays down and goes to sleep. She's an excellent traveler.

Putting your dog in a good kennel like a Ruff Land or equivalent is a safety factor for both the dog and yourself. A loose dog in a vehicle when in a collision can become a flying torpedo injuring or killing both the dog and people inside. Wherever I travel my dog is in her kennel. Even the 1,600+ miles each way to Arizona for the winter. She just lays down and goes to sleep. She's an excellent traveler.
Couldn't agree more. My dog LOVES her crate. Travels like a champ. Gets right out and does her business when we stop and jumps right back in.

Thumbs down on kennels. You don't put your best friend in a cage.

Youve never seen the result of someone hitting a deer or getting hit by another car on the way to/from hunting without the dog in the kennel. The dog does not survive being thrown around the cab like a pinball, and it is extremely gruesome when they go right through the windhield. Even if the dog somehow does survive, now you get to put your best friend down with all the internal injuries and broken bones while watching him suffer. Hopefully you are okay so he doesn't have to suffer too long while you are getting medical help.

If your dog is your best friend, you will get a crash tested kennel for him to ride in.

Back