It's Time!!!

Well, tomorrow starts the beginning of the fall hunting seasons with the opening of antelope archery season. Then were just over two weeks away from grouse and huns and archery elk and deer. Just curious if anyone drew any hard to get tags? Myself, it was not my most successful year, I did draw a either sex elk tag for 631 and a cow tag for the same area. However, it is a no go for antelope, moose and big horns...Hopefully their will be birds, bucks and bulls in the freezer;)come December...LOL.

Last edited:
Are you 631 archery or rifle? Anyway good draw, congrats!
I had the 620, 621, and 622 either sex rifle elk last year, GREAT adventure.:)
This year I turned in the elk part of my big game combo [no draw special permit]. National forest hunting would be to much of a let down compared to that.:( Mountain West Montana and lot of other forest ground is now managed for the Canadian wolves, oh well]:confused:
So be it, Lots of licenses available for for any Non Residents wanting to buy a license. Just a couple years ago:( would have been a dream hunt. :(

My either sex tag is good for archery, been seeing some dandys down there. My cow tag is rifle hunting, but I will probably be hunting just south of the milk river, in some breaks that a rancher friend has a herd of elk on his pea fields and wants to thin them out a bit. I am rifle hunting southeast of Big Timber for bulls during rifle season . A friend has drawn a Bighorn sheep tag for the area by bonetrail, so hopefully he gets a nice ram, the only bad thing is he also outfits down that way and now he needs to find some guides to take his hunters out while he is chasing Rams..LOL

Pheasant/ Antelope season

Does anyone know the reason DFWP and the Commissioners set the season opener for pheasants and antelope the same day?? I lobbied hard against the same day opener, but it fell on deaf ears. Additionally none of the Commissioners had the courtesy to respond to my request. HMMM?? A little disappointing.

Bucketmouth

Bucket, a lot of us aren't going after lopes this year.
Sorry for you guys that are going after lopes:( instead of roosters.:cheers:
Where you gonna hunt lopes this year? And how's everything looking?
GOOD LUCK with your hunt.:cheers:

This year it is a moot issue as I did not draw a 'Lope tag. However, last year it sent me scrambling as I wanted to enjoy the season opener for both goats and chinx. For the first time in my life I did not get an antelope tag for District 700 (half of eastern MT). Guess it is my own fault as I am eligible for landowner preference, but did not take advantage of it. The beauty of not drawing an antelope tag is I can concentrate on those majestic pheasants! My contacts and own observation indicate a good, if not a banner, year. (Grouse and Turkeys open in 15 days-- are the pups conditioned? are you??)

It's been a little tougher this Summer, sooooo HOT hard for me and the pups to do much extra. Now the weather is cooling down, doing some serious miles with the pups. At least with Star my 3 year old, Cooper my 11 year old has slowed way down, it's sad.
I'm leaving for MT just after Labor Day depending on weather. I need it Not hot and not wet. 1 week maybe more this time. I'll get to Wibaux then head north on back roads, work my way up near Canada then West to the Bitter Creek and Frenchman's, stay with friends a couple days. Then over to the Judith Basin Country and the Little Belts, got to go after the Mountain Grouse.:) I've got to stop for a day or two in the Terry, Fallon area with more friends. I have lots of little "honey holes" to hunt birds and scout for pheasants all along the way.:thumbsup:

Maybe better plan 10 daze.:cheers:

Back