It's officially fall in California

calamari

The first flight of 50-75 Sandhill Cranes flew over our house in Auburn heading west to the valley. I hope there's going to be something for them to eat and drink when they get there. Given how long it took them to elect a new leader twice just over our house it may be November by the time they get to the Yolo By Pass.

Noisy buggers aren't they? I usually start seeing them in the alfalfa along the river between now and the quail opener.

fall is in the air here in Texas too, only 94 today.......:(

We paved yesterday in 80 degree weather, wish it was 95 as it gives us a little more leeway and makes for a better finished product.

I am so glad fall Is here with the cooler temps. I normally enjoy summers but it has been tough the past couple of years due to the drought. I am glad the hot summer is behind us and am looking forward to hopefully wet weather

Day before yesterday another big flight of cranes over the house. Maybe they could sense a change in the weather with this resulting rain?
It's funny that we live right under the flight path for flights coming into Sacto Metro from back east. They fly right over the house with their engines idled back and so do the cranes. Over 100 birds in the most recent bunch.

We got a bit of rain today, I hope it keeps up steady this winter.

It's friday and the cranes have flown over the house all day.
Decades ago I was in Alaska fishing for silvers in the panhandle when a storm front came through with a constant cloud of Sandhill Cranes in front of it flying south. A month later I was fishing in Oregon for kings and I swear the same cloud of cranes flew down the coast heading south. Two weeks later hunting ducks in the Valley and they all arrived in one day. I'd never seen so many of them and I haven't seen so many since. If they are an indicator of anything this is going to be n unusual weather year. In what way? Learn to speak Crane.

Sonora pass was closed temporarily over the weekend with more snow predicted in the high country.:cheers:

Well we only got a little snow and it was all at 8,000' and higher, forecasted temp today in Madera is 92. Good luck on your hunt.:cheers:

Summer does not want to let go with temps hitting the mid 90s Tuesday. Someone please kill summer

Yeah, my dogs wish summer would hurry up and die already! Hunting these planted birds in this heat is brutal on them. I want to keep going and so do they, but it's dangerous!

Well even if fall has been "official" for a while now I think tomorrow's quail opener makes it official in my eyes.:cheers:

Back