It was the best of times and it was the worst of times.

shorthairs4life

Decided to go out today and try a new to me spot. Pull up in parking lot and cover looked amazing. We get ready and let out dogs and before we can get our guns loaded, my GSP goes on point. Bird was ready to get out and flushed before I could get inside of 20 yards from him. I dropped it nicely (on the third shot but that's another story).
The dogs were birdy the entire time we were out there but cover was so thick, it was hard to keep up with them. After crossing through a clover plot, my GSP goes on point again. I ran up there to stop the bird from running but I was too late and the bird ran up and flushed about a 100 yardish ahead. Unfortunately during this time I realized I lost my Alpha 100. We searched for it for about a half hour plus. We could not turn it up, so we pursued in the direction the "runner" flushed.
As we approach the area, my GSP goes on point again and I flush this tight holding rooster for my partner and he smoked it (on the second shot of course). We move further ahead to the tree line and my partners dog works this cane line and just before the end, she flushed a rooster. Just as this rooster thought it slipped us, I dropped in with the GSP and shortly after that the rooster was history.
So we had an awesome day hunting new to us cover and pulled 3 roosters, but I lost a $600 Alpha hand held. Sort of a bitter sweet day but it could have been much worse.

OUCH :( I feel for you, but it sounds like a good hunt other wise.

Were you on public land?

We traveled over to Winona MN. 2 weeks ago to visit some of my wife's family where my brother in law slipped off and hunted at Badgerland Pheasantry. We had a great time and the owners took great care of us.

:)

ShorthairsforLife?

I went to their site and have you checked with them to see if you can locate the hand-held unit?

From what I read, it may have some GPS chip in IT, like cell phones do, and maybe you can track it down.

Be a shame to lose it.

Glad you had a good day, anyway.

Best of luck.

That was the first thing I tried when I got back to my car. They said they don't have that capability. I thought it was ironic that they couldn't track a tracking device.

I lost my garmin handheld on public land in Waukesha County last year and thought it was gone. About a month later another hunter found it, called Garmin and they traced it back to me via the registered serial number. He mailed it back. I sent him a thank you and a Cabelas gift card. Still worked like a charm.

I lost my garmin handheld on public land in Waukesha County last year and thought it was gone. About a month later another hunter found it, called Garmin and they traced it back to me via the registered serial number. He mailed it back. I sent him a thank you and a Cabelas gift card. Still worked like a charm.

Garmin does have it listed as lost and they said if someone contacts them they could do the same for me.

Back