Iowa quail

Agall84

Hey guys, anyone have any luck in northern part of Iowa for bobwhites? I was interested in taking my 2 year old Ryman out and hopefully onto a covey or two one last time for the year. I know not to ask for spots but any public areas I might have some luck? Thanks in advance

A heck of a first post request. I honestly think you are looking in the wrong half of the state, but if you are from Iowa, you should know this. Maybe eastern Iowa is different. I haven't seen 10 quail in the last decade north of Hwy 20. Not saying there aren't any, but if I were after quail in Iowa I would concentrate on ground closer to I-80 and south. There are so few around me, I wouldn't shoot one in my area if I saw one. Anyone that knows of quail in northern Iowa is sure not going to advertise it. Go south.

The farther south the better. Problem is, hardly any public down there, so it will take some door knocking.

A heck of a first post request. I honestly think you are looking in the wrong half of the state, but if you are from Iowa, you should know this. Maybe eastern Iowa is different. I haven't seen 10 quail in the last decade north of Hwy 20. Not saying there aren't any, but if I were after quail in Iowa I would concentrate on ground closer to I-80 and south. There are so few around me, I wouldn't shoot one in my area if I saw one. Anyone that knows of quail in northern Iowa is sure not going to advertise it. Go south.
Hey Remy, I know my post was a little aggressive if that’s the term, I guess with the season coming to a close and only Mondays off of work I was hoping for a little direction being that I’m probably about 3 hours from any decent hunting areas of Iowa. I totally understand the idea that I should get out there and find spots myself. I’ve only hunted parts of Illinois growing up and a little bit of Indiana. My father hunted quail for 30 years on private lands where he had knocked on doors in 1982 but many of those lands have changed hands and we’ve lost access. Our first setter is buried on a property that was packed with bobwhites up until early 2000s. I’m also a bass fisherman and always joked on the guys asking where I caught that 8 pounder. Thank you for the response and advice.

Hey Remy, I know my post was a little aggressive if that’s the term, I guess with the season coming to a close and only Mondays off of work I was hoping for a little direction being that I’m probably about 3 hours from any decent hunting areas of Iowa. I totally understand the idea that I should get out there and find spots myself. I’ve only hunted parts of Illinois growing up and a little bit of Indiana. My father hunted quail for 30 years on private lands where he had knocked on doors in 1982 but many of those lands have changed hands and we’ve lost access. Our first setter is buried on a property that was packed with bobwhites up until early 2000s. I’m also a bass fisherman and always joked on the guys asking where I caught that 8 pounder. Thank you for the response and advice.
Remy just gets a little testy towards the end of season. He's tired and depressed cause season is coming to an end:D

Back