Indiana Pheasant Hunt

TerryB

Here in Indiana we have about 38 parcels of CRP ground managed by the state and cultivated by Purdue University's Biology department. The properties are all between 40 and 80 acres in size surrounded by private farms with some having food plots on the crp ground itself. We here in Indiana have to put in for a "Lottery Draw" in order to have a chance at hunting one of these units. We put in for it in August and the draws were 2 weeks ago. Ive been putting in for this hunt for over 20 years and I finally got a draw. I hunted yesterday with 2 friends and my GSP. We could start at 9am and we're allowed 2 birds per person. We saw over 80 birds and we only walked 1/4th of the property. My hunt was much like my sex life.....DONE EARLY!!!!.....first 10 min. the dog pointed.......I got my first natural double and I was done.....my partners finished out within the next half hour and we were on our way home. It took us longer to get there than it did to limit.......Those of you who have thousands of walk in CRP areas are lucky to be able to hunt them at will. Took 20 years to get this one in.....just thought I'd share a great hunt story.

Here in Indiana we have about 38 parcels of CRP ground managed by the state and cultivated by Purdue University's Biology department. The properties are all between 40 and 80 acres in size surrounded by private farms with some having food plots on the crp ground itself. We here in Indiana have to put in for a "Lottery Draw" in order to have a chance at hunting one of these units. We put in for it in August and the draws were 2 weeks ago. Ive been putting in for this hunt for over 20 years and I finally got a draw. I hunted yesterday with 2 friends and my GSP. We could start at 9am and we're allowed 2 birds per person. We saw over 80 birds and we only walked 1/4th of the property. My hunt was much like my sex life.....DONE EARLY!!!!.....first 10 min. the dog pointed.......I got my first natural double and I was done.....my partners finished out within the next half hour and we were on our way home. It took us longer to get there than it did to limit.......Those of you who have thousands of walk in CRP areas are lucky to be able to hunt them at will. Took 20 years to get this one in.....just thought I'd share a great hunt story.

That is great news on more than one level:cheers:Thanks a bunch for sharing.

Last edited:
where did you go terryb? i got drawn after 10 yrs of tryin and get to go up around peru this weekend! i hope its like you described!

The property we were drawn for was about 2 miles north of Kentland. It was off US 41 and 1400S....go east for 2 miles.........It truly was an awsome hunt.

Thanks for sharing! I keep telling the boys in Pa. how lucky they are but many just don't get it!

Is finding public land to hunt that hard in states out west? I am glad to hear you had a great time we do get spoiled with all the land that is available to us, the only thing it is also available to those who do not care and destroy it or worse kill everything they can!

Lightning may have struck twice but it didn't translate into anywhere NEAR the hunt last week. Saw 10 birds total.........3 roosters and shot only 2 with 3 guys and 3 dogs. These birds had their track shoes on and we did nothing but excersize them in this field. We had 2 points and 2 solid flushes. The rest were way out there. This was the Geshwein property off of 750 S. just south of Boswell. If you have this property on a future draw........STAY IN BED!!!!!!!!!!!!

TerryB,
the CRP parcels you are talking about....are they all up north?
Just curious because I live in S. Indiana. Are there any parcels around the Ft. Wayne area and north?

There is one called Pigeon river up by Mongo.It's in eastern lagrange county.Planning on going there myself with my gsp for her first bird hunt.

Most of the parcels are in Northwest and West Central Indiana.........You can email Barb at this email and she'll get you a complete list of all the areas...

Payne, Barb [mailto:BPayne@dnr.IN.gov]

Also on the Indiana Dnr site they a map that shows all the properties that you can hunt at.

If it's for deer Chain-o Lakes State park south of Albion on ST. RD. 9 is one.The one up at Mongo does some type of special hunt too.Contact e-mail is NLevitte@dnr.IN.gov.I've been in contact with this guy and seems to know what he is talking about.

Lottery draw

We drew in about 7 years ago ,never seen so many pheasants,got our 6 birds in about 3 hours .We didn't shoot any doubles .Wanted phez heaven last long as possiable .Since we usually walked miles to see any birds.

I hunted the Geswein property on Nov 20th. I agree with TerryB. Those birds definitely had their track shoes on. We saw 8 roosters and 9 hens. Three of us were able to get 4 roosters that day. It is always a good time to follow good dogs and hunt with your family.

I have observed a few of the draw propertys before when I drive by and see hunters there. I noticed they all park in the same exact spot, usually a small gravel pull off or by the property marker sign. I have seen Pheasant by the dozens run out as soon as those hunters enter the field, they have hunters patterned. I suggest pulling off in another area to enter field other than the obvious used parking spot.

If you are drawn for the state hunts you are instructed to park in the marked parking areas only. You must also have your papers present in the windshield of your vehicle. They check those areas regularly so parking in a non parking area may get you a citation.

should be fine if you park at the mandatory parking spot but walk aways to enter the field wear you choose???

is this hunt only for resident hunters??? just curious???

If you are drawn for the state hunts you are instructed to park in the marked parking areas only. You must also have your papers present in the windshield of your vehicle. They check those areas regularly so parking in a non parking area may get you a citation.

I stand corrected, I have never been drawn in over 20 years of applying, I did not know they gave instructions on where to park. Thank you Labman500

should be fine if you park at the mandatory parking spot but walk aways to enter the field wear you choose???

is this hunt only for resident hunters??? just curious???

I believe it is for anyone who buys a license. I have been putting in for that draw for over 20yrs and never been selected.

I have however had the chance to hunt next door to a few of these properties and we always find birds. Best is right after the lucky politicians/law enforcement hunt them with their cronies and flush them out to us!

Last year we hunted a small creek that flowed out of one (maybe a 1/3rd mile ling and kicked up close to 20 birds out of it.

Also had the chance to hunt one of these properties last year with a friend who was drawn. The guys in the area that I know all said it was the worst property of all of them in Benton County. I think it was the Jefvert Property. They said few birds but lots of deer. It looked great to me but we kicked up 4 birds and 9 deer and one rabbit. That was a disappointment.

Back