Indiana Pheasant draw

FieldKing

O.K Indiana guys, time to apply for the draw, I think we have until Sept. to apply online for the Pheasant draw areas, not to be confused with put/take. This will be my 25th or so year applying and I have never been drawn for the 1day hunt. I pray I am drawn.

I used to live in Indiana and was never drawn either. I have a friend who moved to IN from OH and was drawn the first year he applied! Some folks just have the luck. Good luck on the draw I hear the hunting is great!

I used to live in Indiana and was never drawn either. I have a friend who moved to IN from OH and was drawn the first year he applied! Some folks just have the luck. Good luck on the draw I hear the hunting is great!

I have a friend who's the same way. He's a great guy so good for him. Anyway he always drawing permits (for IL pheasants sites). He insists I'm doing something wrong when I apply. I think it's just not in the cards for me. It's been years of applying with no luck:(

I think Pa. will go to something like this when they open the WPRA's for hunting.
Do you guys have any idea how many people apply vs. permits issued?

I think Pa. will go to something like this when they open the WPRA's for hunting.
Do you guys have any idea how many people apply vs. permits issued?

Frustrated at the lack of public information I emailed our DNR a few years ago and they responded that they receive about 5000 applicants for 220 available slots. To my knowledge they have never publicly released information on how many properties there are. I have heard there are about 70 properties that range in size from 40 to 80 acres each. There is a lack of information about these properties.

At Pigeon River you can go before and after the put and take. It's in Lagrange county. Find Kendallville on the map and go straight north on S.R 3 and you'll find it. Always went mid week to avoid the crowd there. They have a training area for the dogs that can be used during the summer.

Frustrated at the lack of public information I emailed our DNR a few years ago and they responded that they receive about 5000 applicants for 220 available slots. To my knowledge they have never publicly released information on how many properties there are. I have heard there are about 70 properties that range in size from 40 to 80 acres each. There is a lack of information about these properties.

Thanks FieldKing,

The story of your States wild pheasants is very interesting, although as you stated very little public information is available. At least your DNR is managing for a wild pheasant population.
I can imagine how frustrating it must be to not get picked.

It's not the DNR in Indiana that controls these properties........I believe these are managed by Purdue University as far as habitat and food plots.....The state controls the hunts.....May want to give a shout out to Purdue...i'll do some checking as well

It's not the DNR in Indiana that controls these properties........I believe these are managed by Purdue University as far as habitat and food plots.....The state controls the hunts.....May want to give a shout out to Purdue...i'll do some checking as well

TB, I have never heard that about Purdue. A former co-worker of mine sold the state an 80 acre plot in the pheasant belt 20+ years ago for the pheasant preserve/draw area. I drive by it when I am in the area during season, every time I see the drawn guys there Roosters are running out of there on the road, darn good spot.

TB, I have never heard that about Purdue. A former co-worker of mine sold the state an 80 acre plot in the pheasant belt 20+ years ago for the pheasant preserve/draw area. I drive by it when I am in the area during season, every time I see the drawn guys there Roosters are running out of there on the road, darn good spot.

Next time you drive by one of those properties look at the sign....I know the one I hunted a few years ago had a sign saying property was managed by Purdue

It may not be ALL the units.....as some I know are in the CRP program....but I'm pretty sure that the University Ag program manages them for habitat and food plot

Possible. I am mainly concerned with the lack of information such as how many properties are owned, acreage, etc. If taxpayer money is used to purchase and maintain the land (Purdue is a state/public university) then why the secrecy? Several hunters on other boards have questioned the access to these properties?

Good question.......you see how many people have had multiple draws in consecutive years....that's good clean living or it's under the table dirty...you decide....I know how I feel.....it's dirty.....state owned...Purdue Managed???...I don't think Indiana is smart enough to keep these properties holding birds like they do....We're never going to get a straight answer...

One of the other things was if you DIDN'T fill out the survey after the hunt and send it in that you would be DQ for further hunts...I believe that's what it said on the survey I received after the hunt I had 2 years ago,,,

I have applied for the pheasant draw for over 20 straight years. My hunting partner has as well. Neither of us has ever been chosen.

I did ask another friend last year to apply and he WAS chosen. The property he got was the one the local guys around Fowler all knew was probably the poorest for pheasants. We saw 6 birds, 5 hens and one cock.

They did tell us that it was a heck of a spot for deer though. We saw 9.

I applied again today only to be disappointed again in early October.

Last edited:
Back