In Praise of the Double trigger SxS 20 ga

KSBrittman

View attachment 8758

My SXS is a double trigger Cabela’s Dickinson 20 gauge , little gun shoots where I look as long as my form and mechanics are right .Quail and pheasant are mine main quarry but I have taken Dove , Ducks , geese and prairie chicken . Gun is steel shot compatible and has Teague type screw on chokes and 3inch chamber .

I have a 1942 lc smith 16 gauge that i have used to take grouse, woodcock, pheasant and quail. Use 2.5" rst shells.

Same Dickinson except mines a 16 ga. Quail, pheasant, crow, and a duck or two.
xjgkBwM.jpg

I used to think my Beretta M391 12 ga was about the most practical pheasant gun out there. Might be, but I've only used it once since getting the SxS 3 years ago.

Yes I have ran a 391 quite a bit and have M-2 Benelli’s but my go to gun is The Dickinson, on the geese above I switched the tubes out to full and improved mod expecting that these birds might pass at some distance .

I really enjoy the instant selection of choke and we often move quail and pheasant in the same field often use #7 reloads in the open barrel and #5”s in the tight tube .

What chokes to you run in yours ?

My 16 runs a bit tight on each choke, the cyl marked choke has .004 constriction, and that seems to follow through all the tubes.
I tend to run with I/C and Mod when hunting pheasants with 1 1/8 oz homeloaded 5s. I've got a couple really nice load recipes that pattern well while being at a more modest velocity than the Golden Pheasant hyper speed shells. With these chokes I'm getting closer to light Mod and Improved Mod patterns. If I do my part, the pheasants are hit hard.
If we still had decent quail numbers here at home I'd be using the Cyl and I/C tubes, same as I use on backyard clays or the skeet field.

Back