Ice fishing in spring weather...misc

I managed to get out and ice fish the last couple of days, nice to sit on the ice when it is 40 degrees (above :D). Caught some nice pike and watched 10s of thousands of Northern pintails, fly by headed north. The bummer was driving by 1000s of acres of CRP that has been plowed up, apparently all good things do come to an end. On a positive note there seems to be quite a few pairs of Huns around, hopefully they have a good nesting season. :D

Good healthy fish.:thumbsup:
Those cold water Northerns are dang good eating.

MAN! there's been a huge loss of CRP MT and everywhere.

They ain't starvin'. Nice healthy fish!!! I hear if you fillet them correctly there is not too many bones, is that true?:thumbsup:

They ain't starvin'. Nice healthy fish!!! I hear if you fillet them correctly there is not too many bones, is that true?:thumbsup:

If you filet the correctly, there are NO bones, if you are interested, there are plenty of videos on YouTube that will show how to.

They are the preferred freshwater fish at my house (slightly ahead of walleyes). They are great on the grill or fried.

When You get a Norther of that size the "Y" bones are easy to sort out from the meat. Those hammer handle size takes a sharp knife and you waste about half the fillet getting the "Y" bones out.

I like the small Walleye, those under about 22 inches. I will take a 10 pound Northern for eating over a 10 pound Walleye anyday.:thumbsup:

Well I was on the ice yesterday still 4-8" of good ice but going fast. Last trip of the spring for me. I did end up with some more nice pike, fried or grilled, it is worth the effort to catch them and cut the bones out.:cheers:

More CRP going up side down on every trip. Oh well we knew it wouldn't last forever! :(

Back