Hunting with .410 pistol

Jumpshooting Deke

Is it legal to hunt pheasants with a .410 pistol?

I am sure this forum can settle this discussion I have been having.

Last edited:
410 Pistol

I believe it is technically legal, but it seems like a grey area. I know it is legal to hunt small game with it, but why would you want to hunt pheasants with it? Hopefully it is used only for road hunting. I think if you here to take a shot at a flier it would only get injured and never be found.

Pulling my leg?

Hey Joe, maybe you can answer this one... I did some pheasant hunting in western MN last year and the son of one of the farmers whose land I was hunting told me that it's legal to use a .22 to hunt pheasant in MN. He said you can pick them off with a .22 as they come out to pickup gravel on the roadsides late in the afternoon.

Even if it is legal, I don't know why anyone would want to do that. It doesn't seem very sporting to me.

22 and 410 pistol

Technically pheasants are considered small game in MN. Small game can be hunted with a 22 but nothing larger caliber than that. I have heard of the 22 and roadside thing. I have also seen where hunters have attempted to shoot a rooster sitting in a tree w/ a 22. In MN it is illegal to shoot game from a road (considered Right of Way.) You need to be in the ditch. Rules are more strict in MN than other states. If it were me I probably wouldn't take the risk. Sure guys could do it on some rural back country road and not get caught but is 1 rooster worth it. In my opinion no.
The 410 pistol thing I believe is legal for what you are attempting to do. I have heard of guys road hunting with a 410 pistol, so why would it be diiferent while walking?

Back