Hunting spots in Northern CA

krdavis2513

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. Any suggestions of places to hunt in Northern CA? I had no luck at all opening weekend. Looking for better luck this week/weekend.

Pheasant hunting on public ground in Northern Calif. is very competitive and under a lot of pressure for few birds. To be honest, I doubt that you'll get any useful info. just asking like you have. People will tell you to hunt the wildlife areas and this year they are slightly better than last but still not like they were. The area managers have reduced the hunt days due to budget constraints, poor hunting and low hunter numbers after the opening weekend.
If you want to break new ground, hunt the Lower Klamath Nat'l Wildlife Refuge up at Tule Lake and tell us what you see. To get info you have to give info. Go and share what you saw and where you went and people will loosen up a little. There are a lot of pheasants there but they are far from easy.:)

I've been trying up in Knights Landing and the rice fields aren't flooded yet so the birds are still in the farmlands. Gonna give it another week or so to let the fields flood and give it a try again. Been looking at clubs just not sure where to go or how to pick one. Is there a club you hunt/prefer? I grew up hunting my grandparents farms in Woodland an it was great hunting land seems to be scarce lately

Be sure and have permission where you hunt. Cultivated fields are the same as fenced and posted fields. Everyone is humorless about poaching.

If you are a member of the Knights Landing Co-op that's always been tough hunting. They plant a few birds but they get shot by the locals pretty quickly. It's ditch running for that whole area and if you don't have a blocker get a cheap portable radio, tune it to Rush Limbaugh and put it in the ditch. Drive back as far as you want and hunt toward the radio. Don't put it near fishermen or they'll take your radio.
If you live in Davis, Quail Point and Raahauges in Arbuckle are both good clubs. $75/3 pheasants this year and Raahauges in particular can be challenging if you hunt the area South and West of his headquarters. They offer a free afternoon hunt there if you want to look the grounds over and see if you want to buy birds.

Last edited:
I am a member of Quail Point and I think it's a great club. You pay for what's planted for you, but you can shoot anything (Quail, Chukar, Pheasant) you come across. After about 10:30 you can check in at the clubhouse and are free to hunt most any of the fields at no extra cost. Great staff out there.

I hunted Rahgaaues on Saturday on the free roam hunt and came across 2 birds. Its a good club. I always hunt later in the day, damn near had the entire place to myself on Saturday afternoon. It is located in Dunnigan.

Back