Hunting Montana

walk213

Hello All,

My buddies and I take a 3 day upland hunting trip once a year. We usually hunt CO, KS and NE on both private and public lands. This year, the boys want to hunt either SD or MT. They want to see more birds.

-We want to hunt wild birds (no preserve hunting)
-We want a location 7 hours or less from Colorado (Denver area)
-We want to hunt private/guided but also want to hunt public in and around the area we select
-We will bring our own dogs

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Best,

Ross
www.huntfishgolfwork.com

if you are open to pheasants and other mixed bag hunting , NE Montana has 3 unique bird habitats and hunting. YOu get sharptails on the prairie , pheasants around riparian areas, and huns close to ag...

word in Central Montana lots of hail, some real devastation, which is bad for birds and farmers cheery outlooks!

Generally ,NE corner of state is best place to look ,lots of public prairie, some public pheasant hunting on walk ins, and Wma... those folks welcome hunters, some however will say no during the first week, or two on private access.

that said NO Where close to as many pheasants as western , North Dakota, or eastern So. Dakota.
good searching.

Thank you very much for the detailed overview. I will share your advice with my friends.

If you want to stay within seven hours of Denver, it will only get you to the Wyoming/Montana boarder. If you haven't hunted that country, I'd hire an outfitter and have him show you where to find birds. I think for some the big open country can look intimidating and confusing on where to hunt. You can cover a lot of ground before you figure out where the birds are if you don't have some help.

If you want to stay within seven hours of Denver, it will only get you to the Wyoming/Montana boarder. If you haven't hunted that country, I'd hire an outfitter and have him show you where to find birds. I think for some the big open country can look intimidating and confusing on where to hunt. You can cover a lot of ground before you figure out where the birds are if you don't have some help.

Thank you for the advice. The boys decided to stay local (KS, CO, NE). I may take the journey later in the year on my own.

Back