Hunting Fort Peck Rez

vetta99gwp

I am looking to hunt MT this fall. Want some input on hunting Fort Peck.

I have hunted tribal land in SD and used a map provided to show land that I could hunt. Maps were not very good.

Any advantage hunting Fort Peck vs the rest of the state?

It's vast, early it can be hot and dry. It takes some time to learn where to go. but it's a great adventure, think in terms of a scouting mission with bagging birds an after thought. There are certainly birds there. Lots of sharptails, pheasants in certain locals, huns here and there, even some sage grouse, but I would go different areas to find a huge numbers of all of the above, but it is a great combo hunt, and the scenery looks like Chas. Russell painted we grew up thinking the west should look like! That alone makes it worthwhile.

Ive did quite a bit of hunting up that way, from Circle and Vida over to Malta. I wouldn't pay the extra licensing fee for a tribal permit personally, there is tribal land, but their is also private land that you need to get permission to hunt. Check out the Bowdoin National Wildlife Refuge over by Malta, pretty good pheasant and grouse hunting. There are motels and resteraunts in Malta. It is a hidden gem when it comes to upland hunting!

Bowdoin gets a bit busy!:eek: A big NWR but only a few hundred acres are open to upland birds, and it is certainly not a secret. Also sorry to say it's going back to native short grass. No more stuff going on that will be pheasant friendly.
Anyway right, the FT Peck Res is big. And a lot of it is owned by non band.
Lots of the best pheasant hunting is on private land, the tribal licenses does not work there.
Good thing about the Peck Res there are not many hunters, band members don't give a crap about bird hunting. And from what I understand, IF you can locate a land owner, getting hunting permission is NOT a problem.

Bowdoin gets a bit busy!:eek: A big NWR but only a few hundred acres are open to upland birds, and it is certainly not a secret. Also sorry to say it's going back to native short grass. No more stuff going on that will be pheasant friendly.
Anyway right, the FT Peck Res is big. And a lot of it is owned by non band.
Lots of the best pheasant hunting is on private land, the tribal licenses does not work there.
Good thing about the Peck Res there are not many hunters, band members don't give a crap about bird hunting. And from what I understand, IF you can locate a land owner, getting hunting permission is NOT a problem.

Any place public with birds is going to get busy, that is a simple fact. When you throw in all the public land around Bowdoin it is pretty formidable area for upland hunting. It receives alot less pressure then areas nearer population centers, that is a fact. The tribal license IS required to hunt within the boundries of Ft. Peck no matter if it is tribal land or deeded. Last year the tribe closed the season due to fire danger on part of the rez south of highway 2. Another thing to think about when you hunt the rez, is where to stay...lol, I wouldnt be caught after dark in Brockton, Poplar, and Wolf Point is not much better. Culbertson is close, but it is hard to find lodging and Glasgow is quite aways from good hunting on the rez.

I'm just saying, The tribal license does not give you free run of the Rez. At least half is privately owned and finding the owners can be very difficult.

I've been through the Rez many times, have not hunted it. I know several who have hunted the FT Peck Rez. They did good and all came out alive.:)

The MT Hunting Guide says that state regulations apply when hunting on deeded land within the boundaries of a reservation that does not have a management agreement with the state. We talked to a party that hunted the rez last season (pheasant) thinking they were legal and they were fined by Tribal Fish and Game $250 each, payable on the spot.

I can tell you for sure.
Have the tribal license for all the area within the Rez boundaries. including all private non-band land.
The tribe has their own laws and could care less about state of MT hunting laws.

Back