Hunting around Madison

2birddogs

I have to vist kids in Madison area during the opening weekend. I am looking for any help about where to hunt. Has anyone hunted the public land in the area? Is some better then other. Is there a peice of public out of the way, I don't really like the put and take hunting lots of one day hunters not the safest but I'll get to see the new grand daughter. I need to get miles on the gods before SD on 10-27 :cheers::cheers::cheers:

I don't know any of the wildlife areas around Madison, but you might want to try Yellowstone Wildlife Area near Blanchardville. I think it is about 45 minutes from Madison. I know several folks that hunt pheasant there. I believe it is 4000 acres and is adjacent to Yellowstone State Park. I would bet it is active for the opener.
Good Luck

I live about 35 minutes south of madison. There is plenty of both wild and put and take hunting around but you'll have to work for the wild birds. I'm not one to give away my hunting spots over the computer but Look on the dnr site for public areas around madison and then drive to em and hunt the suitable looking cover.

Last edited:
Wisturkeyhunter,
What town do you live in Wisconsin? I grew up in South Wayne.

Thanks guys I'll let you know how it goes. I am really just looking to put miles on the dogs. I took the two dogs out to the game farm on last week. It is really cool to see how quickly the seem to turn back on and do what I feed them for 10 months out of the year. :cheers::cheers:

Thanks guys I'll let you know how it goes. I am really just looking to put miles on the dogs. I took the two dogs out to the game farm on last week. It is really cool to see how quickly the seem to turn back on and do what I feed them for 10 months out of the year. :cheers::cheers:

Gold luck, I wish I was heading out.

Back